Measuring shallow bore

I need to measure the diameter of several shallow blind holes in bottom of a 6061-T6 valve body to +/- 0.0002 accuracy. The holes are nominally 0.060" deep and 0.625" diam. The holes are at the bottom of a 1" diam bore about 1.5" deep. Since I can't reach them with my inside micrometer I was thinking of buying several Go/NoGo rods in

0.0002 increments either side of 0.06250". Since I have not used Go/ NoGo's for such small increments on aluminum I don't know if this will be an impossible task, ie. if the rod is not perfectly square to the bore I might get a NoGo when in reality, I should get a Go etc. Anyone care to comment? Since this is for only a few parts now, and possibly very light QC type use later, any measurement scheme that costs more than a few hundred bucks might not be worthwhile.
Reply to
oldjag

Well you could buy gage rods that are available in 0.001mm increments and use them to feel how easy they go in (if you need a hammer, then ...). Certainly, you will have to insert them patiently with calm hands. It's done every day around the world. But a certainly cheaper way is to cast it out with an special zinc alloy (cerrobond? forgot the name) used for measuring chambers of riffles. You cast the metal in, wait to solidify, pull it out, wait an hour or so and then measure. They have the property of shrinking and then expanding back to size again. Don't know wether they work on alumin(i)um, but I think so.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Cerrosafe.

Pay attention to "Technical Specifications and Use" on the page.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Yes, right!

Isn't it stunning how it shrinks and expands?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Sounds like some way-cool matereials science going on there.

I imagine it has a very slow crystal formation rate.

Maybe it forms one variant of crystal that make it shrink, then those crystals change to a different type that cause it to expand, or, maybe the crystals that make it shrink form relatively quickly and then the ones that make it expand form more slowly.

I wonder if the shrinking was a happy accident, or designed in to aid in removal?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Cerrobend is another alloy that expands when it cools. It differs from Cerrosafe in that it does not shrink first. This expansion property is what makes it work so well for bending tubing because it fills the tubing tightly. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

You need to clarify that, while metals generally shrink when cooling the transition from a liquid to a solid may exhibit an increase in volume. Some metals such as antimony and bismuth exhibit this property, maybe others I have forgotten. This characteristic of antimony is used with modern pewter alloys (Brittania metal) in that it provides a better casting definition due to the lower shrinkage rates of the alloy.

Reply to
David Billington

The Cerrobond sounds like it might due the trick for some of the bores, but the others have an 0.030" O ring groove, which could make removal a problem.

Reply to
oldjag

You can always put a bushing into the bigger bore.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

NO!

Buy a set of Deltronic pins, which consists of 25 pins in .0001" increments, from .0012" under to .0012" over nominal.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I have heard that sulphur works like the Cerrosafe. You melt it and pour into place (with a suitable way to pull it out). I think the Cerrosafe is about 30-some dollars per pound or more. But I noticed that one poster mentioned its use for bending tubing, so it might be a good investment for the future, anyway. But----- if it returns to its normal size, isn't that going to be a pretty tight fit?

Pete Stanaitis

------------------ oldjag wrote:

Reply to
spaco

I'm ordering the Cerrosafe and the deltronic pins. Thanks

Reply to
oldjag

Welcome.

You're learn to love those Deltronics. We used them routinely when honing small bores. Sure takes the guess work out of measuring.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos