Keyless chuck on drill press?

I recently got a Clausing drill press to replace a dead buffalo. I lubed the chuck and it's still funky so, we decided on replacing it. It's on a JT33. The last straw was one of the guys goes to loosen the old chuck and smacks the key with the palm of his hand. The key gives on the second blow and his hand follows through down the drill and the flute lays his hand open...no stitches, but borderline.

For some reason, I'm not a big fan of keyless chucks. My Albright on the BP seems to jam-up but good sometimes. I have two 2x4s, three feet long hinged at one end; this is my "Albright Pliers". I'm not sure a keyless is such a good idea on the drill press but I'll got what the guys want. I found a

1/32"-1/2" "Bison" for $80 and ordered it. Any thoughts on proper care and feeding of the new chuck? Are there any unique safety things we need to consider? Is it just me, or are keyless chucks on drill presses not natural? I have no problem with keyless on the BP.

Here's where I got it, no endorsement...don't have the chuck yet. Seems like a one-man business and Bob is a nice guy. I told him that I noticed his "Chuck Grease" on the website and that I announced to the guys that I ordered a big tub of "Chuck Grease" and that Charles started getting nervous. I thought Bob was going to wet his pants.

Tom Gardner

I like keyless chucks, and about the only time I prefer the keyed chuck is when I am pushing a larger bit to spit some really big chips.

My experience however has been that most of the work like that is not done on a drill press so I would not think the keyless is going to give you any grief.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

IMHO, keyless chucks work well as long as you don't push them too hard. Like small holes on a Bridgeport, hand fed. If you're tempted to over tighten one, its time to switch to a good keyed chuck.

I wouldn't consider using one on my radial arm drill press.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Keyless? I have a keyless chuck (1..13mm) on my mill (FP1). And I use it with power feed. It always opened when I wanted it. On the lathe, all keyless. One of them Albrecht (note the spelling). On my hand-drills, keyless. The Jacobs on the Makita is crap. The keyless on the Fein looks so much like an Albrecht, that I feel it is OEM'ed for Fein by Albrecht. And this one has a problem. It is rated for 0..6mm but can hold 7mm. As soon as you go over the 6mm, you will have big trouble opening it again. The DPs (small and big) have key-chucks and you only remind me, that I should replace them.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

The keyless chucks on the new Sears "Professional" Grade lithium-ion drill drivers are a farce. I call them an "Auto-loosen" chuck. We have had nothing but trouble with this "Professional" Grade drill driver.

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

I knew the spelling was wrong but didn't bother to look it up. I'm so ashamed!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 06:51:42 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields" quickly quoth:

Stu, I'll let my sig speak for itself. You've hopefully learned your lesson and won't be buying any more Searz tools.

------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One of my machining instructors in Manchester Connecticut said as much. He said about the only time he had problems with the keyless chucks was when used at their max limit, then they would sometimes be difficult to undo. I haven't had such issues at the limit but do find that when I use a Starrett hole saw arbor, which is hexagonal, they can be difficult to undo, maybe some camming issue. I'd use a keyed chuck for that situation but I don't have one for the BP, yet.

Reply to
David Billington

If you are going to do any serious drilling I would recommend investing in a morse taper R-8 holder for your bridgeport and use morse taper shank drills. They never slip and they don't fall out unless you don't take care of them and keep the chips out of the taper.

John

Reply to
John

I drill on the BP only as large as I need to use a boring head.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There are good ones and so so ones and bad ones.

One big learning lesson is to never speed tighten the chuck by grabbing it and turning it on. That can screw up the chuck and make a good one so so or bad.

When I upgraded my hand drill I read the booklet for some reason... It was in plain language never do it. Never.

I think when precision is really needed, a three key twist is best. Tighten using all three holes for even pressures.

Martin

Mart> I recently got a Clausing drill press to replace a dead buffalo. I lubed

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn