Keeping drill bits from slipping in the chuck

Last summer, I reported my problems with drill bits slipping in the chuck of my little Delta DP350 bench drill press. At the time, I had a Phase II Keyless (1/32 to 1/2 inch, JT33 taper, about $20) on it. I was forced to tighten this chuck with a hook spanner and sometimes a strap wrench, defeating the whole point of "keyless", and still it sometimes slipped.

I was attracted to the keyed ball-bearing jacobs-type chucks, but none were available in JT33 taper. So, I got a plain-bearing heavy-duty keyed Jacobs chuck, made by Jacobs, for about $84 (MSC 08590093).

This works. Not a hint of slipping, though I had to tap it right smartly with a rawhide-faced hammer to set it on the JT33 taper well enough that the chuck wouldn't pop off when the drill broke through and pulled on the chuck.

I would guess that the key issue is accuracy of machining all those oddly shaped parts within the chuck. This keyed chuck is faster to tighten and untighten than either the original jacobs-style chuck that came with the DP350 or the Phase II keyless.

Joe Gwinn

The original thread is at "Re: VFD recommendations sought; wearing belts; slipping chucks" (18 June 2005).

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

JR North

I have several import keyless Albrecht knockoffs from Grizzley. I got them some years ago, so they're more likely from Taiwan than China.

They all work very well, slippage is very rare with just easy hand tightening. They work much better than any key chuck I have. I have not barfed up one drill shank in any of them.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Relating to the thread about Chinese quality, I have found a remarkable difference in Taiwanese quality vs Chinese...have others seen the same? I just purchased a Right-Angle arbor for my Bridgeport, got one made in Taiwan, quite impressed with the quality...sharp threads, good finish, very nice. Purchased similar items from "made in China" and don't see any resemblance to the same quality.

Just looking for opinions on the difference, wonder if my sample population is too low for generalizations....

John

Reply to
CAMCOMPCO

I have noticed the same thing as well. Particularly with respect to measuring tools, but I also have a taiwan made cnc bedmill that I have been pleased with. In my limited experience, Taiwanese quality has been almost universally better than Chinese. Chinese quality seems to be improving in some areas and lagging in others.

StaticsJason

Reply to
StaticsJason