Decent Drill Chuck

I want to buy a 13mm drill chuck to use on a MT2 arbor with my lathe and mill.
I have a couple already, acquired second hand. One made by CAV has
TIR measured 10mm from the jaws on a ground 10 mm spindle of 4 thou. The other, a Jacobs No 34, has TIR 2 thou. I would like a new chuck to be at least as good as the Jacobs item.
I see lots advertised by the likes of RDG, Chronos, Rotagrip, etc, with prices ranging from less than 10 to over 40. Obviously I don't want to pay any more than I need to, but I do want an accurate item.
Any recommendations, and views on keyed versus keyless chucks would be appreciated.
Cheers
Mike
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:14:51 -0800 (PST), mikecb1

J&L have a Rohm 136 (0-13mm) JSupra Industrial Keyless chuck in their flyer at the moment 29.95 (+ VAT) with Free JT6 - MT2 adaptor Precision ground hardened and tempered. Chuck Order Code AYDCR-90000J
Note: the Rohm website PDF indicates this may actually be 1-13mm capacity
Richard

Richard, thanks for posting this - I was in need of a second drill chuck, already had one of these and was very happy with it. Ordered one (+ 3MT arbour) from J&L at about 5.55 yesterday, and was astonished when it turned up early this afternoon!
David
--
David Littlewood

A while ago I bought three new Jacobs keyless chucks with a new lathe. First one lasted about 6 months then jammed up tight, undoing it with a strap wrench caused it the shatter internally. Next two went within a few months after that, all the same symptoms, looks as if the heat treatment was too severe as these were too brittle. It could have been that they used an inferior grade of cracker dough because they had the same tenancies as when I try to spread butter prior to putting the cheese on.
Bought a couple of 13mm keyless from Osama Bin Swali at Arceurotrade as a stop gap measure and these have been good, in fact I have changed both spindles on the double headed pillar drill and the CVA lathe to keyless.
I still have some Jacobs keyed chucks that work but they don't have the holding power of the keyless, only drawback is you may have to give it an extra squirt if you are power tapping on the lathe but most times they do allow you to back out. It's really nice not having to search for a chuck key. Been using an old air drill today and it must have added 1/2 hour onto the day keep searching for the damn key then having to nip it up again. I reckon the drill manufactures must pay Jacobs to keep spinning drill and shagging the shanks up. I have a nice set of stub drill I bought in China last year that have 3 lobed shanks ground as standard, these NEVER spin, need to get the rest of the drill in the same type sets.
.John S.
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:51:24 -0800 (PST), John S

I've had a 5/8" Jacobs keyless, made in Italy, for a few years now and even from new it was hopeless at gripping a drill above 1/2". Had a Rohm keyless, came used with a lathe I bought, that was fine until I used it with a holesaw in the lathe. Don't use keyless chucks with holesaws. Try it & you'll find out why. I have two oriental keyless chucks (both from Chronos IIRC), one is I think a 'Golden Goose', the other a Vertex, both have worked immaculately. I use one of the Chinese chucks, an Italian 13mm keyed chuck whose brand escapes me and a CVA 3/8" keyed, both of which are very good, in the CVA lathes on MT2. I have a couple of big 'older' Jacobs keyed chucks for the big lathe, they work fine. Incidentally I've had bad experiences with Jacobs chucks, both keyed and keyless, on portable power tools but they do or did a keyless chuck with carbide jaws for portable tools, they're the best I've come across.
Tim
In article

Now that would be *really* useful - any chance of an importer getting them in?
David
--
David Littlewood

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 22:45:12 +0000, David Littlewood

    Talking about drill chucks and importers getting them in, I see Arc Eurotrade, and probably others, are now stocking a *revolving* 13mm tailstock chuck on a 2MT stub. Until recently these were only available on 3MT. I made one of these myself a while back and find it absolutely invaluable for supporting smaller items where a fixed centre may not be appropriate or possible.
At the modest price of 21, I suggest these as an essential addition to your Christmas hint list.
ps To Ketan (Arceurotrade). Commission in used banknote only please, nothing traceable, OK?)

RMB Yuan in post today.
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:11:35 -0800 (PST), Ketan Swali
Pfft!

On or around Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:11:35 -0800 (PST), Ketan Swali

handy site, wasn't aware of it 'til today.
Don't suppose you can supply hand taps in the following sizes, set of 3 would be excellent:
M10x1 M8x1.25 LH
The LH ones I have are getting worn, and the M10x1 finisher has gone AWOL.
On or around Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:23:00 +0000, Austin Shackles

should've said, the reply-to is boobytrapped. remove the bit in caps.
On or around Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:14:51 -0800 (PST), mikecb1

got a keyless one from chronos, 0-13mm or thereabouts, it's very nice - well made, accurate, smooth operation etc. No problem with slip in forward running.
Only drawback I found for lathe use is that you can't run things in reverse. if you don't do that, no problem with keyless.