'Jobbing' shops

Following up on my previous request for some help, I've been doing a lot more digging around and have come to one conclusion. We don't have any
small engineering shops left ....
I found a local engineering firm who could do some of the sheet metal work I needed finishing and who could "get it done by Wednesday" - I should have confirmed which Wednesday :( They are doing me a favour fitting the job in, but the rather large some of money agreed did assume that I'd have the boxes back to assemble by the end of the week.
None of the 'directories' on the Internet are of any use for establishing who does what so I'm wondering if it's worth putting something together? Something that we can search through for the sorts of jobs that we can't do easily at home, and which we can rate suppliers when we find them performing well. While the bad performers should probably be commented on, my personal thought is that only services with positive feedback are displayed.
The amount of time I've spent trying to lay of some of these jobs, I should just have got stuck in - sorted out the right tools - and got on with them ;) In the end I'd be able to simply do the jobs again next time.
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

I have a small engineering shop that makes bespoke parts for anyone with money !! Having said that, I do lots of "favours" for locals. I am also very quiet at this time of year due to a customer going bust, and the new people taking over and setting up again is taking time. Only reason I didn't reply to your first request is that my location is North London. Bob

Do you fancy turning me up (or fabricating) a grease cup from a Stauffer lubricator? It's 2.5'' diameter, material choice is yours, the most difficult bit (for me anyway!) would be the internal thread (looks around 20tpi)
Julian.

Do you have a drawing of the part required please. I would also need to be sure of the thread specs. Maybe you have a mating part that screws in, so the thread can be confirmed. Bob

I could do you a drawing, but it would be very amateurish! I've got the female mating part too - maybe I could just box them both up and send them to you Parcel Force?
Julian.

Sorry, brain fart, female = male!
Julian.

Doesn't matter how amateurish it is as long as it has the relevant dimensions. We can do the post thing later if necessary I tried twice to reply to you off group, but it bounces back? Bob

Ah, OK, that would be because my e-mail address was from an ISP that I gave up on many years ago, I didn't update it to try and cut back on all the corned beef I was getting :-)
I'll reply to you direct and then you'll have a valid address for me.
Julian.
Replace the obvious !

There are plenty small shops left,but,very few are sitting waiting on customers coming to the door.If they were they would be in trouble. As for "want it now".Here`s how we look at it.We`re running jobs for customers,along comes a new guy who wants his stuff now which would mean an existing job being pushed back.Will the new guy pay extra to get his job pushed through?Probably not.Will he pay you at all? Possibly not. Will he pay you the rate to stop a job,set up and do his one and reset the one you stopped.Probably not. Do I want guys wandering in with bits they need now,in a hurry,likely never to be seen again? Not really,I`d rather you went to the guy in his garden shed up the road. There is no money in doing odd bits in a hurry for people you don`t know.
On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 02:10:29 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk"

I used to use two very good small shops in the area, they've both gone now (one retired, one seemed to just disappear a few months after moving premises). I know of a couple of others, but another seems to have gone recently. My needs were often for sterngear repairs while a boat was on the dry-dock, so a lot of extra expense if the job couldn't be done sooner rather than later. Both would do their best to help, but they had close ties with one or two customers and of course looking after them was much more important than my occasional jobs. That is what led me to establish my own shop, I've collected more kit than I *need* to service the dry-dock but it's surprising how often a lot of it gets used. As it's not a full-time job, I generally get more satisfaction from the workshop than from most of what I call the 'day job' of boat repairs. I do take in occasional outside jobs, but don't go looking for them.
Tim
Tim L wrote:

Well I've just back from a round trip via Arc Euro and John S and I'm in a lot better position than I was this morning. Hopefully even the machined boxes were finished but I was too late to pick them up.
John's neck of the woods seems to be a lot better off than mine. Probably because every available barn and shed has been converted to holiday accommodation around here ;)
Mark - I know exactly what you are saying, and to some extent you are probably right, but the point of THIS thread was to see if there would be any interest in setting up a directory of 'experts'. I am wondering of a 'spare capacity' service might be appropriate? In my own case the one good sheet metal shop that is with easy reach is now busy on big contracts for then next few months :(
I even tried to fill the gap by picking up on of the 8" break presses from Ketan at Arc Euro - but he has stopped stocking them - and I'd bunged the cost to cover it on another job already :(
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

    If anybody needs help with turnips, I'm your man. Put me down for badgers, too.

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 12:00:24 +0000, Chris Edwards
...and owls.

Chris Edwards wrote:

On the same not I am available to bore holes in any furry or feathered pest throughout Suffolk. Current "precision" diameters possible are .17", .22", .243", but you can always have a job lot of smaller randomly placed holes if you prefer :)
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:59:29 +0000, Cliff Ray

Are you not .007" out on the first hole size? "Precision", Huh <G>
Richard
Richard Edwards wrote:

No, it is .17HMR a rimfire round not the air rifle size.
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 16:57:57 +0000, Cliff Ray

My sincere apologies for doubting you.
Richard
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:41:18 +0000, Richard Edwards

If he's very accurate, he could ream the holes to .177 with an air rifle. Probably get a better finish that way :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

Never tried that :)