Cut knurls

I was at a CNC machine supplier the other day and noticed some Hommel and Keller knurling tools. These were "Cut" knurls giving swarf removal as opposed to "form" knurls. The knurling wheels are set at an angle to the axis of motion. I cannot get my head around why these knurls cut as opposed to form. Can someone explain?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

The edge of these knurls is sharp and because they are on an angle the face leads the work so as it rotates and moves forward it slices the material off. Imagine how you sharpen a pencil at an angle as opposed to trying to take a full slice off in the vertical plane.

Look out shortly in MEW for an interesting article on these by David Fenner

John S.

Reply to
John S

I prefer Quick cut knurls myself.For a lot of good info look here.

Mark.

Reply to
mark

Thank you for that John it is all a lot clearer. Thanks also to Mark with the link to "Quick". Excellent amount of info. The video was a bit "Quick" though.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

I made a knurl holder like this some years ago by machining a slot in the end of a piece of hex bar through two points of the hex, so that when mounted in the tool post it tips the plane of the knurl 30 degrees either way off vertical. I cut the knurl by planing a piece of 3/4" silver steel using a screwcutting tool on its side, and dividing from the bull wheel on the lathe. Wheel was fully hardened after drilling and cutting off, leaving sharp edges. It cuts nice diamond knurls using two opposite passes and doesn't need the same side thrust as a pressure (swaging) knurl, which was all that I had at the time. I now use a clamp type pressure knurl, so hardly ever use it now, but it gave nice results Tony Finn

Reply to
finnajkaroo