Circular Cut at an Angle?

Hi All,

I'm trying to make a circular cut across the end of a round rod, but with the cut being canted at an angle to the rod's axis. Basically I'm trying to create relatively large radius cut using a relatively small cutter. The shape of the cut is actually an ellipse when viewed at the desired angle. Still confused? This technique is used on a vertical milling machine where the end mill tool is tilted at some angle then passed across the end if the vertically mounted rod. The resut is a large radius cutout in the rod. I'm playing with a rod diameter of 1" and an end mill dia of 3/4". My problem is getting SW to move the circular cut across the rod with the two axes being something in the

45 deg range. Any ideas?

TIA Dan

Reply to
Dan

Hi Dan,

Make a new PLANE at an angle at the desired location. Sketch circle on this plane and do the Extruded Cut.

Willem

Reply to
Willem1

Are you looking for something like this (check Circular Cut in the file section).

Deepak

Reply to
Engineer

Hi Willem,

It's a little hard to describe... I'm not trying to make a circular cut at an angle to the rod end, but rather a pass across the end in a horizontal movement with the circular cutter set at an angle. The difference is subtle, but has a must different result. The cut is actually an elliptical which, in effect, yields an approximate radius which is proportional to the angle of the cutter. The flatter the angle, the larger the radius.

Dan

"Willem1" wrote:

Reply to
Dan

A picture says 1,000 words, I'm trying to wrap my head around what you want but its just not happening..

Reply to
tnik

See attached PDF.

What I'm trying to do is get SW to move the tilted endmill across the rod horizontally along axis4 in order to see the resulting elliptical cut in the rod.

Hopefully this will clear things up a bit.

Dan

tnik wrote:

Reply to
Dan

Dan,

I understand what you want. To do this you need to calculate or project the ellipse that is the tool profile as viewed perpendicular to the cut direction. You may also be able to do this by sweeping a solid cylinder if that ability is available in the version of SW you are using. I am still on SW2005 and it does not yet have the ability to sweep a solid. Here is how I would do it. Construct a solid representation of the tool in the correct position to make the cut. The open a sketch on a plane that is perpendicular to the cut direction and convert the end profile of the tool into your sketch and then sweep that.

Timelord

Reply to
Timelord