Online shops - some observations

G'afternoon,

Excuse this venting of spleen, but after being away from the hobby for a couple of years I've been amazed by the general crappiness of the online shops. Whilst Hattons and Rails know what they are doing, have the stuff in stock, and get it out to you pretty quick smart, others leave a lot to be desired. My biggest gripe is that rather too many of them have product lists that bear no relation whatsoever to the actual stock that they have. Two prime culprits are the Southampton Model Centre's website and Bluestar Model's one.

Check out:

and

Both will quite happily let you order non-existent stock online!

When queried, one said that "...yes, the website is out of date but I have no technical knowledge to shut it down" (!), whilst the other made no apology whatsoever for apparently deceiving the punters!

And yes, they are just two of many!

Anybody got any recommendations for sites that have the stuff in stock, and offer a good n' reliable service? I'd prefer sites where I can actually order online, rather than having to call ahead.

Any advice gratefully received. And apologies again for venting frustration.

AL

Reply to
AL

AL

Hattons

(as you mentioned) and Mainly Trains

I have enjoyed exceptional service from both.

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

frustration.

Reply to
Rob

I've used

and of course Hattons/e-hattons, both of whom have provided me with good service and prompt delivery.

Reply to
Spyke

In message , Rob writes

I must add to this by saying that our very own rugby-league following John Turner does a very good service, although I freely admit that he fails on your main criterion as he does not have a web site where you can order things. But I have had no trouble when ordering things from him by email, so as far as I am concerned he is highly recommended.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Yup, a very good service from John apart from the usual he managed to get me a couple of hard to get discontinued Ratio coaches earlier in the year, full marks. For a couple of reasons "full marks with extra credit" goes to Dave Cleal at Mainly Trains. I can't recommend either of these two chaps highly enough.

Otherwise I haven't used any other mail order services preferring to buy locally.

Reply to
Chris Wilson