'Jobbing' shops

My opinion of fishermen as a race has taken a dive in the last week or so. I'm in the process of stripping a big (31 litre) Kelvin diesel, from a fishing boat, which has a seized crankshaft. My understanding is that it was rebuilt by Kelvins 8 or 9 years ago at a cost of £30K+. It's pretty obvious that it had simply been run out of oil. The sump takes 77 litres, I pumped less than 25 litres out of it, there's no evidence of major oil leaks. I'm told that that standard of maintenance is not uncommon :-(

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Let us hope that their standard of paying the bills is better....

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Not an issue in this particular case, as I'm the proud owner. I bought it speculatively after the vessel was scrapped, hoping to earn some wages from either selling it as a good overhauled engine or as spare parts. Much will hang on what I find next week when the heads come off & a couple of pistons are drawn out.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

I hav'nt recieved a drawing yet, unless it was filtered into the spam box. Email to: rplume.eng.co@btinternetDOTcom Replace the obvious !

Reply to
Emimec

On or around Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:53:02 +0000, Tim L enlightened us thusly:

it's a big bugger. That'd be summat in a narrow-boat :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I suspect the inland waterways elf & safety take a dim view of narrow boats aquaplaning...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

You might be struggling to get up on the plane with that in a narrow boat, there's 5 tonnes of it. Also accomodating the 5' diameter prop on a boat with a hull depth of 4' might be a challenge

It's one of these:-

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Nah - you use the trick that they use on the Thai canal boats (I can't remember which 007 movie it was...) - basically you mount the engine on a pivot and have an erfing great propshaft attached to the motor that sticks out the back - overhangs the end of the boat by 10 feet or so. You steer by rotating the engine...

Would probably be more effective than a dredger for cleaning the crap out of the canal too.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

These are the ones:

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

In article , Tim L writes

Hm, bung a generator on it and it could keep a modest village in electricity.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Here is what that pi**ock Clarkson thought would be 'fun' to do with a dead one (older version, minus some of the more valuable bits):-

Even more pointless than his usual stuff.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Not very convenient engine rpm for that, though it would run for ever at 1000 rpm with reduced power if you could find the right alternator.

I'm involved in looking after two older naturally aspirated 1000 rpm versions of the engine, both installed in 1964 & still working regularly, still AFAIK on their original crankshaft bearings. I fitted one of them with new cylinder liners and over width piston rings on the original pistons about 18 years ago. The valve gear self-destructs at about 1600 rpm (apparently)

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

On or around Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:05:14 +0000, Tim L enlightened us thusly:

mind, I daresay it didn't actually hurt it. The highway-womble-mobile would have cushioned the blow.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's a shame we don't get to see what the engine looks like afterwards. I woulldn't stake my life on the cast iron sump being in good order, but I think We Should Be Told

Tim

Reply to
Tim L