'Jobbing' shops

On or around Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:53:02 +0000, Tim L

it's a big bugger. That'd be summat in a narrow-boat :-)
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:54:53 +0000, Austin Shackles

I suspect the inland waterways elf & safety take a dim view of narrow boats aquaplaning...
Regards, Tony

You might be struggling to get up on the plane with that in a narrow boat, there's 5 tonnes of it. Also accomodating the 5' diameter prop on a boat with a hull depth of 4' might be a challenge <g>
It's one of these:-
http://www.kelvindiesels.co.uk/Model_TASC8.htm
Tim
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:08:44 +0000, Tim L

Nah - you use the trick that they use on the Thai canal boats (I can't remember which 007 movie it was...) - basically you mount the engine on a pivot and have an erfing great propshaft attached to the motor that sticks out the back - overhangs the end of the boat by 10 feet or so. You steer by rotating the engine...
Would probably be more effective than a dredger for cleaning the crap out of the canal too.
Regards, Tony

These are the ones:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-tail_boat
Regards, Tony

Here is what that pi**ock Clarkson thought would be 'fun' to do with a dead one (older version, minus some of the more valuable bits):-
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p153/ChrisJW_photos/CWF/?action=view&current=ClarksonKillsKelvin.flv
Even more pointless than his usual stuff.
Tim
On or around Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:05:14 +0000, Tim L

mind, I daresay it didn't actually hurt it. The highway-womble-mobile would have cushioned the blow.
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:01:20 +0000, Austin Shackles

It's a shame we don't get to see what the engine looks like afterwards. I woulldn't stake my life on the cast iron sump being in good order, but I think We Should Be Told <g>
Tim

Hm, bung a generator on it and it could keep a modest village in electricity.
David
--
David Littlewood

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:01:32 +0000, David Littlewood

Not very convenient engine rpm for that, though it would run for ever at 1000 rpm with reduced power if you could find the right alternator.
I'm involved in looking after two older naturally aspirated 1000 rpm versions of the engine, both installed in 1964 & still working regularly, still AFAIK on their original crankshaft bearings. I fitted one of them with new cylinder liners and over width piston rings on the original pistons about 18 years ago. The valve gear self-destructs at about 1600 rpm (apparently)
Tim

<Opens FireFox>
Connection Interrupted
The document contains no data.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.
<Gives up>
Mark Rand RTFM
Richard Edwards wrote:

Does there need to be a distinction? I certainly prefer any list I'm involved with to be available 'locally' and attempts to move to on-line only 'forums' would get no support from me. So a blanket heading of 'lists' rather than 'forums' is probably a little more generic and then highlight those lists that have 'limited access' because of their rather restricted software ;)

Down again at the moment ;) Doubt that it should be 'too busy' at this time of the morning. I hope my own sites are not this flaky ....
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Urrrrgh wazzat?
Mark Rand(on call last night, woken up three times) RTFM
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 04:32:19 -0800 (PST), alastair coombs
That might depend greatly on its ratio of uptime to downtime. Not doing too good on that front so far today at least.
Regards, Tony