Cream Crackers anyone ??

Just burst *another* Jacobs keyless chuck this morning, not doing anything stupid with it, just drilling some 11mm holes in the end of mild steel bar in the lathe.

Same as last time. You give the chuck a nip by hand as it's drilling to stop the drill spinning and it holds. When you have finished you can't get the bugger undone. Five deep breaths and a passable impression between Popeye and Mad Mountain Dean and it still don't move.

Very and I mean very, gentle application of strap clamp and CRACK another set of jaws shattered.

Why don't Jacobs stick to making Cream Crackers? at least when these shatter at about the same rate as their chucks you can glue the bastich's back together again with butter.

Note to self try butter on the next chuck.

Bigger note to self NO don't buy another Jacobs.

I have some Albright's or whatever and a couple of Metabo's [ bloody good chucks these you can air drop these on Baghdad with no problems

Aaahhh got it, sell these bloody Jacobs to the yanks, they can use them as cluster bombs ]

And a couple of no name Chinese ones, actually they do have a name. They are John Wayne Keyless Chucks. They are rough, tough and beat the shit out of the Indian chucks.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

There's something very evocative about the word "burst" when refering to flywheels, gun barrels, chucks etc...

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I've got one Jacobs 16mm keyless industrial chuck, made in Italy, it's never been any good for gripping drills above about 10mm dia. I've never got it to grip anywhere near tight enough, no danger of having to use a strap wrench to undo it

OTOH the one Metabo keyless chuck I've had, on an expensive Metabo cordless drill, was useless. I replaced it a couple of years ago with a Jacobs keyless with carbide jaws, the best keyless I've used on a portable tool (and I've used a few). Obviously these are very different animals from their industrial cousins. My experience of Jacobs keyed chucks on portable tools is that they're cr*p, they're not the only ones, but their industrial keyed chucks generally do the job.

For those who haven't made the mistake yet, don't use keyless chucks with hole saws with hex arbors. I've destroyed a perfectly good Rohm keyless that way.

I've got two chinese keyless chucks, one Vertex one Golden Goose or some such, both have been fine for me. I haven't had the Vertex for all that long, it's very compact compared with others. I do wonder about its strength, but no sign of it breaking yet!

BTW John, did you get my email re heat treatment??

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Maybe you should turn the motor off before stopping the drill with your bloody great ham hand

Mark Rand (running for cover) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

So what is the consensus recommendation (as if) on chucks? I need to replace the chuck on my 1/2" Fobco drill.

(A the risk of starting a holy war) my priorities are:

1) accuracy 2) grip 3) smooth action 4) price 5) keyless

-- Charles

Reply to
Charles

Yup, got that and I'll be popping over a bit later this week. Just finished doing the pocket machining on 96 inserted lathe tools. I need to drill and tap for the clamp screw and they will be going for hardening and blacking.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I'm not theological about these things, but I was under the impressio

that a keyless chuck was a trade off of convenience against almos everything else on your list, especially grip (plus, it would seem reliability/durability).

What is your reason for using keyless

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

Convenience. You will note, however, that it was lowest on my list of priorities. An Albrecht chuck would, I think, meet the criteria pretty well, apart from price.

Reply to
Charles

I'll just stick with keyed chucks - if my hand can't turn the key, a thump with a soft mallet will!

speedy

Reply to
speedy

Hi Why not pay a tad more for Rhom keyless chuck, been using them for years on our VMC's with a vengance and only one has jammed and that was after "crashing" the machine Cheers Dave

Reply to
Dave Jones