drill chuck recomendations

Hi,

I'm looking for a good value on an MT 2 drill chuck for my drill press. What brands hold up well? Suppliers?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
john

I own a machine shop.We have 350--400 drill chucks all Jacobs I would not own any other make. If you can, buy the ballbearing type you will not be sorry Ray Mueller

Reply to
SMuel10363

Jacobs ball-bearing Super Chucks are the best keyed types. Probably Albrecht gets the nod for keyless.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I only have about ten of them and far less experience but I think you will be amazed as I was by the super ballbearing Jacobs- for a #2 MT a 14N is a decent size. You might as well buy it on ebay with the MT2 adapter already supplied. They run about 30-35 bucks for a decent looking chuck, then you'll probably need to buy the key separate, they're pretty cheap.

Reply to
ATP

I like keyed chucks, having tried Albrecht, Rohm, and import keyless. None of them held a drill without slipping, maybe my hands aren't strong enough. And be sure to tighten the key in all 3 holes.

I suggest a Jacobs ball-bearing chuck. If that's too much do-re-mi, then get a plain bearing chuck. Ideal would be a 14N, new.

Good vendors abound. I suggest:

MSC

Hi,

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Ball nearing Jacobs would be my first choice, then a Rohm and then a Cushman. I do have a chuck that looks identical to a Jacobs, and is a quality built item, but its made in france and is something like a VHA or something like that. It was dirt cheap when I bought it, and to say it is quality, does not sound right, but on this item quality and cheap goes hand in hand for once.

Never have been a big fan of keyless types.

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Perhaps LFA? That's what we sell for people who are dissatisfied with the chucks that come with their drill presses. They are very solid units and I've never heard of one being returned because it wasn't functioning correctly. They're not exactly cheap (usually $50-$70 CND for a 5/8") but you only have to buy it once. We don't stock Jacobs in the high-end range because they're so pricy (2X+ the price of the LFA's). Never heard any complaints.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Well ... several have said that they do not care for the keyless chucks, but I like them -- and have several brands, Albrecht (the top of the line), Rohm (similar quality), a Jacobs keyless, and an import keyless clone of the Albrecht which is not as good, but has more capacity than an Albrecht that I can afford.

That said -- there are reasons to have keyed style chucks on hand -- if you use them in something with a reversible spindle. Either tailstock chucks for lathes, or spindle chucks for vertical milling machines. The reason for this is that a left-hand drill bit (good for drilling out broken-off screws) will *loosen* a good keyless chuck, just as normal forward operation should *tighten* it. On my drill press (for the moment), I can't run it backwards, so there is no matter there. In a lathe or a milling machine, it is easy to run the spindle backwards for the right tools.

Now -- all of this said -- most chucks do not come set up for Morse taper -- they have a female Jacobs taper in the back of the chuck. There are arbors available to fit most Jacobs tapers to Morse tapers, and this is what I use in my drill press and my lathes. (One lathe is MT-1, one is MT-3, while the drill press is MT-2.) I normally use the

5/8" clone keyless in the lathe, unless I need to work in reverse, so I keep a keyed chuck on another MT-3 arbor ready to hand. For the smaller lathe, I have three keyless chucks (1/8" Albrecht, 1/4" Albrecht, and 3/8" Rohm) -- and no need for a keyed chuck, because that lathe does not have a reversible spindle. The smaller chucks chew up less of the space between spindle and tailstock, so I use them unless I need to use something larger in the tailstock. And for many larger drill sizes in the tailstock, I use ones with a direct MT-1 shank, so there is *no* chuck wasting space between workpiece and tailstock. (That is a rather small lathe, so this matters to me.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols