Melting Tungsten Electrod - Dynasty 200DX

The best investment by far you can make at this point is an autodark welding mask.

Gunner can recommend best buys.

I've been welding for decades now, did plenty of it by head-nodding. Then I got an autodark. If my Jackson autodark crapped out, replacing it would be high priority.

Reply to
Don Foreman

And since you have the Dynasty 200DX, might as well spring for the Jackson. I've got some projects lined up for mine, now that it's warming up.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

The recommendation was to purchase a Jackson adjustable head gear with "shorty face shield", leather bib, fixed gold shade #11 and +2.25 magnifier. However, I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy such a creation. Any ideas where? The instructor has used the same helmet for years, and no longer knows where to buy them. I suspect its been replaced by the auto dimming helmets. Any recommendations on where to purchase such a creation? The auto dimming helmet I have now is not sensitive enough to use with TIG. The Speedglas 9002X states it will support low amp TIG.

Thanks

Luds

Reply to
daluds

You can always put a supplemental lens behind the autodimmer.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

I got my Nexgen EQC at the local Airgas. I like it. Ernie Leimkuhler on sci.engr.joining.welding recommends the Huntsman 951P hood with the Nexgen EQC lens.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Jackson and Speedglass both offer good products. But wait for Gunner to check in on this. Harbor Freight offers several autodarks, some of which are undoubtedly crap but several have found one or two of them to be quite acceptable.

I have a Jackson EQC bought years ago. I had occasion to try another guy's Jackson NextGen. I didn't like it as well as the EQC and wouldn't trade.

Variable shade is important with TIG if you'll use a range of welding currents. Ya can't weld well if ya can't see the puddle, and ya can't see the puddle if it is either too bright or too dark.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Bought an inexpensive helmet from Lowe's and put in a gold #11 and

+2.25 magnifier to get me going. Finally can see what I am doing. I'll look for a better helmet option later, but wanted to get some practicing in with the new lenses. What a difference. I was able to weld some Aluminum with AC process today with great success after some practice.

Thanks for the help!

Luds

Reply to
daluds

If you want better visibility with a standard lens welding hood, just buy a $10 quartz, 300 watt, flood/work light at a hardware store.

Just point it at your work and you will be able to see when you aren't welding.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie recommended this some years ago, and thats exactly what I did.

Works a treat!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch