Melting Tungsten - New to TIG welding

Hello,

Trying my hand at TIG welding, and keep melting the Tungsten. Setup is Dynasty 200DX with Coolmate, Water Cooled Torch, tried different diameter electrodes, welding mild steel, setup according to manual along with rod diameter selection, DCEN seting. The electrode always melts before I can form a large enough pool to form the weld. Any thoughts what I can be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Luds

Reply to
Luds

Do you have the polarity backwards ? Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Something is WAY wrong! Now, the very TIP of the electrode is supposed to melt, just a little, when you are at the upper end of the current range for that size. What electrodes are you using? Pure Tungsten (EWP)? Those are only good for serious pros who are required to use them in aerospace work. Get some Zirconiated electrodes for Aluminum, and Thoriated or Lanthanated for mild steels. That makes a HUGE difference.

Are you absolutely sure you have water flowing through the torch? Are you absolutely sure the current control is working? You should be using 100% Argon, and probably flowing 5-10 Cu Ft/Hr for modest sized electrodes.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

That would be my guess, too.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

did you turn on the gas? do you have enough gas flow?

Reply to
Eat at Sloppy Joes

Check your gas. My supplier gave me a tank of 20% CO2/80% Argon. I had blue fits trying to weld AL until I discovered the goof. It works fine on steels. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

What size electrode? What kind of electrode (pure tungsten, 2% zirconiated, etc.) What current? What shielding gas? What flow rate? What size filler rod? How thick is the metal you are welding?

Reply to
footy

I found that out..the same way I found out how to melt an endmill....sigh

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

Chuckle!

An admission that you, like the rest of us, are perfectly normal? Don't ask.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Of course Harold. I dont walk on water, and I put my pants on one leg at a time. I even manage to get the fly in the front most of the time...

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

Front? The fly goes in front? ;-)

Harold