Message from an ebay buyer

``There is no such voltage as 460 Single Phase. 460 volts is Three Phase''

Reply to
Ignoramus29252

You did block this person ?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

I did not, why?

Maybe it is a good idea to do so.

Ignoramus29252

Proper planning prevents potential problems.

I would not want a person that thinks they know what they are talking about bidding on any of my auctions.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

I guess it depends on your point of view. I'm not sure if you can get the power company to connect you with 460 single phase. You can get 460 single phase from 460 3 phase, if you have L1, L2, & L3, any 2 of the legs are single phase. If you have something that runs 460 single phase, you could get a transformer to go from 230 to 460. So there certainly is 460 single phase, but I'm not sure if the power company provides 460 single phase.

My Miller 330A/BP welder runs off of 230 or 460 single phase. The plant where I work has equipment that uses 460 single phase.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Sure there is. Such equipment is rather rare...very are in the US...but it is indeed out there

Gunner

"The U.S. military has had considerably more success in turning Iraq around than liberals have had in turning the ghettos around with their

40-year 'War on Poverty.' So far, fewer troops have been killed by hostile fire since the end of major combat in Iraq than civilians were murdered in Washington, DC, last year (239 deaths in Iraq compared to 262 murders in DC.) Ann Coulter
Reply to
Gunner

Iggy-that statement is absolutely true. I know because I checked it out. At 459 volts power only comes out of one wire. At 460 volts power comes out of three wires. And then at 461 volts power only comes out of one wire again. I looked at the wires and I could see the power coming out of the wires. And you don't even need to look at all three wires because single phase voltage is orange and three phase voltage voltage is blue. Interestingly though is the fact that single phase current is green and three phase current is yellow. I wonder why the current isn't the same color as the voltage. Anyway, if you look at the wires at the right angle you can see both colors at once. I forgot to say that the colors only apply to AC voltage and current. DC voltage and current are invisible. But that's OK because DC is so noisy. Airick

Reply to
etpm

Ayup. My Miller SyncroWave 300 is the same. 230/460 single phase

Gunner

"The U.S. military has had considerably more success in turning Iraq around than liberals have had in turning the ghettos around with their

40-year 'War on Poverty.' So far, fewer troops have been killed by hostile fire since the end of major combat in Iraq than civilians were murdered in Washington, DC, last year (239 deaths in Iraq compared to 262 murders in DC.) Ann Coulter
Reply to
Gunner

I love it! Iggy should send it as a reply to the buyer: "Oh, you're right, here's what I found: ...".

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

In my neck of the woods there is no such thing as 460 volts. PPL Electric states the power they deliver is 120, 208, 240 or 480 volts all +/- 5%

I think this was covered before, 460 like 110, 115 and 117 are all carry-over's from years gone by.

Like Roger said I don't think you can get the power company to supply you with 460 (480) single phase, it would be part of a 3 phase service. Or does someone know this to be false? You can get single phase equipment in 277 and 460/480 volt.

So it does depend on your point of view.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

No one would want a 460v single phase power service, but there is plenty of 460v single phase machines.

Ignoramus5921

I thought 460v was twice cheaper to use than 230v, because of twice less current.

Ignoramus5921

Not a matter of perspective, we're talking electrical requirements of a device, not an electric service from a utility. While 460V (480V) electric service from a utility may normally be provided in a three phase service, numerous devices require 460V (480V) single phase power. A person who does not understand that should not be bidding on 460V (480V) devices.

Reply to
Pete C.

Nah, twice the voltage = twice the expense. Some truth to that since

480V switchgear is more expensive...
Reply to
Pete C.

Ignoramus5921 fired this volley in news:o4ednX6Uq59Fy9rNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ig, it makes the equipment smaller and lighter (if it's solely for 460V), but watts are watts. Your power meter doesn't measure current (per se), it totals watt-hours of energy. If current and voltage are in phase with one- another, a given current at a particular voltage can be used to calculate watts. Lightly loaded motors and other inductive loads tend to muddy that by shifting the phases of voltage and current.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I was joking...

Reply to
Ignoramus5921

no, No, NO!!!

It's 4X as cheap 'cuz power is i-squared-r...

Reply to
dpb

and three ohase is cheaper still because the current is less by 1/sqrt(3)

Reply to
Ignoramus5921

While single-phase 460 V feeds are a bit rare, many welders definitely are wired for 460 and only use one phase. I can imagine big industrial ovens might also run off single-phase, as well as spot welders.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Big ovens I used or had that needed more than 208V were usually three phase. Easy enough to do because they usually had multiples of three elements. It needed appropriate care if replacing an element, but our electrical folks were used to three phase and its hazards.

Reply to
Pete Keillor