Message from an ebay buyer

``There is no such voltage as 460 Single Phase. 460 volts is Three Phase''

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You did block this person ?
Best Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org/


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I did not, why?
Maybe it is a good idea to do so.
i
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Proper planning prevents potential problems.
I would not want a person that thinks they know what they are talking about bidding on any of my auctions.
Best Regards Tom.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Ignoramus29252" wrote in message

I guess it depends on your point of view. I'm not sure if you can get the power company to connect you with 460 single phase. You can get 460 single phase from 460 3 phase, if you have L1, L2, & L3, any 2 of the legs are single phase. If you have something that runs 460 single phase, you could get a transformer to go from 230 to 460. So there certainly is 460 single phase, but I'm not sure if the power company provides 460 single phase.
My Miller 330A/BP welder runs off of 230 or 460 single phase. The plant where I work has equipment that uses 460 single phase.
RogerN
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ayup. My Miller SyncroWave 300 is the same. 230/460 single phase
Gunner
"The U.S. military has had considerably more success in turning Iraq around than liberals have had in turning the ghettos around with their 40-year 'War on Poverty.' So far, fewer troops have been killed by hostile fire since the end of major combat in Iraq than civilians were murdered in Washington, DC, last year (239 deaths in Iraq compared to 262 murders in DC.) Ann Coulter
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No one would want a 460v single phase power service, but there is plenty of 460v single phase machines.
i
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:01:07 -0500, Ignoramus29252
Sure there is. Such equipment is rather rare...very are in the US...but it is indeed out there
Gunner
"The U.S. military has had considerably more success in turning Iraq around than liberals have had in turning the ghettos around with their 40-year 'War on Poverty.' So far, fewer troops have been killed by hostile fire since the end of major combat in Iraq than civilians were murdered in Washington, DC, last year (239 deaths in Iraq compared to 262 murders in DC.) Ann Coulter
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:01:07 -0500, Ignoramus29252
Iggy-that statement is absolutely true. I know because I checked it out. At 459 volts power only comes out of one wire. At 460 volts power comes out of three wires. And then at 461 volts power only comes out of one wire again. I looked at the wires and I could see the power coming out of the wires. And you don't even need to look at all three wires because single phase voltage is orange and three phase voltage voltage is blue. Interestingly though is the fact that single phase current is green and three phase current is yellow. I wonder why the current isn't the same color as the voltage. Anyway, if you look at the wires at the right angle you can see both colors at once. I forgot to say that the colors only apply to AC voltage and current. DC voltage and current are invisible. But that's OK because DC is so noisy. Airick
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

I love it! Iggy should send it as a reply to the buyer: "Oh, you're right, here's what I found: ...".
Bob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I thought 460v was twice cheaper to use than 230v, because of twice less current.
i
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ignoramus5921 wrote:

Nah, twice the voltage = twice the expense. Some truth to that since 480V switchgear is more expensive...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ig, it makes the equipment smaller and lighter (if it's solely for 460V), but watts are watts. Your power meter doesn't measure current (per se), it totals watt-hours of energy. If current and voltage are in phase with one- another, a given current at a particular voltage can be used to calculate watts. Lightly loaded motors and other inductive loads tend to muddy that by shifting the phases of voltage and current.
LLoyd
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 2012-09-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

I was joking...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 9/5/2012 8:42 AM, Ignoramus5921 wrote:

no, No, NO!!!
It's 4X as cheap 'cuz power is i-squared-r... <gdr>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

and three ohase is cheaper still because the current is less by 1/sqrt(3)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:42:49 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus5921 wrote:

The reason the voltage and current are different colors is so you can determine power factor by how they mix. I though everyone knew that.

Well, yeah but the truth is that the I2R losses *will* be cut by a factor of four. My 'lectric company recently went to huge expense in replacing all of the tranformers and many of the poles in my neighborhood so they could raise the primary voltage from 8KV to 13KV. It will, in the not-very-long run, pay for itself in reduced heating of the primary wires.
By the way, this was a pretty impressive show. The had a HUGE transformer on a flatbed in a nearby parking lot, switchable from 8KV to 13KV. All of the new transformers were also switchable. After they had this all installed and running at 8KV (with no interruption of service, by the way), they called in what must have been damned near every truck they had in the state. There were ten on my block alone. At the appointed hour, the power was shut off and they switched all the transformers. It all took about ten minutes before the lights came back on.
Excellent planning on PSE&G's part.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 08:42:48 -0500, Ignoramus5921

It should be 4 times cheaper because resistive losses increase and decrease with the square of the voltage. We're getting ripped off. Eric
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

But whatever you do, watch out that the smoke does not escape.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:01:07 -0500, Ignoramus29252
In my neck of the woods there is no such thing as 460 volts. PPL Electric states the power they deliver is 120, 208, 240 or 480 volts all +/- 5%
I think this was covered before, 460 like 110, 115 and 117 are all carry-over's from years gone by.
Like Roger said I don't think you can get the power company to supply you with 460 (480) single phase, it would be part of a 3 phase service. Or does someone know this to be false? You can get single phase equipment in 277 and 460/480 volt.
So it does depend on your point of view.
Remove 333 to reply. Randy
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.