Message from an ebay buyer

The reason the voltage and current are different colors is so you can deter= mine power factor by how they mix. I though everyone knew that.

=20

Well, yeah but the truth is that the I2R losses *will* be cut by a factor o= f four. My 'lectric company recently went to huge expense in replacing all = of the tranformers and many of the poles in my neighborhood so they could r= aise the primary voltage from 8KV to 13KV. It will, in the not-very-long ru= n, pay for itself in reduced heating of the primary wires.

By the way, this was a pretty impressive show. The had a HUGE transformer o= n a flatbed in a nearby parking lot, switchable from 8KV to 13KV. All of th= e new transformers were also switchable. After they had this all installed = and running at 8KV (with no interruption of service, by the way), they call= ed in what must have been damned near every truck they had in the state. Th= ere were ten on my block alone. At the appointed hour, the power was shut o= ff and they switched all the transformers. It all took about ten minutes be= fore the lights came back on.

Excellent planning on PSE&G's part.

Reply to
rangerssuck

But whatever you do, watch out that the smoke does not escape.

Reply to
F Murtz

That's my experience. Even smaller plastics machines usually have

3-phase sets of heaters (most of the power consumption is the heaters and the motor). The controls stuff could run off a single phase, though I've seen a 3phase transformer to supply 24V for the controls on a Battenfeld.
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It should be 4 times cheaper because resistive losses increase and decrease with the square of the voltage. We're getting ripped off. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Iffin you use all three conductors.

Wes

They only sell it to you from the Utility as 460V (now nominal 480V)

3-Phase 3-wire, or 277/480V 3-phase 4-wire - and if you can get it in as 277/480V 3-Ph 4-wire Wye it's worth the extra expense.

(They sell lots of different 277V Shop Lights that will run straight from the service Hot to Neutral, 480V is only available in a few High-Bay styles. For 120V lights and outlets you need a transformer, or a separate lighting service.)

But iffin' you only use two of the hot lines instead of all three lines, you've got 480 Volts Single Phase there, just like you want.

But don't try to cheat and use a 480V Single Phase receptacle - they don't exist - or if someone does make them (probably in a Pin and Sleeve Device) they'll be REAL expensive because they won't sell many.

Just use a plain old 480V 3Ph twist lock receptacle and only use

3-conductor cord. Hot, Hot, and Ground.

If you have several of these devices, balance the loads - First one is connected to the A & B phases, second is on B & C, third on C & A. Repeat as needed to keep the Power Utility from getting annoyed at you for unbalancing their system.

Oh, and make sure the portable cord you use is rated for 600V, a decent percentage of the cheap stuff at the hardware store is only rated at 300V. In a few years when the cord insulation starts breaking down from age, that can cause you some serious excitement.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

"Bruce L. Bergman wrote

per wikipedia:

L8 connectors are used with circuits with a maximum specified voltage of 480 V AC. Supply connections are intended for two-pole, three-wire hot-hot-ground circuits with a nominal supply voltage of

460 V.

I could not find them on McMaster or Grangers, but did find

at 12.50 I would not call it terribly expensive.

Balancing is indeed important. Using the correct outlets saves breaker space and I think is the best way to assure balancing.

Reply to
Stephen B.

I have seen a lot of 460v, two pole plugs.

Ignoramus881