Metal advice needed

I have a reasonable amount of silicon bronze on hand. It works much better than brass. Especially true if you are brazing galvanized steel. Probably costs more than brass since it is almost all copper.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The only way to braze PROPERLY even with a gas torch. Heating the rod with a gas torch can work well in combination with heating the work if the rod is a bit too large for the job.

Reply to
clare

Don'r need xray to check penetration on a test cupon.

Reply to
clare

The people who never screw up, never do anything. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 10 Jul 2014

04:23:37 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Or they work for the Government, so it doesn't impact their lives or careers to any great degree.

pyotr filipivich

Show me even one G-E who never screws up! :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in news:QYqdnQxdmNfoUyPOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Try to find one that will admit it! L

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in news:QYqdnQxdmNfoUyPOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

How many times have you heard (in context an pronunciation),

"Ahhh cain't do nufin' 'bout dat suh... dat be a gubmint regalashun!"

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" fired this volley in news:XnsA3668DCB19F14lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70:

...and...

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I normally braze by heating the parts and when I think the parts are hot enough touching the rod to the work to see if the parts are hot enough to melt the rod. You get other clues as to how hot the parts are by what the flu is doing. Ecept when tig brazing , there is no flu.

( I spilt beer on the keyboard and now I can not type the letter between w and y in the alphabet.)

When using a tig torch and silicon bronze, it is okay to let the arc touch the rod. When using fuming brass, letting the arc contact the rod, causes the zinc in the rod to vaporize and causes a mess.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 10 Jul 2014

13:33:40 -0400 typed >> "Michael A. Terrell wrote:

It isn't the "never screwed up" part which is the problem. It is the detail that we rarely, if ever, hear of a GovEmp who got fired because he screwed up.

pyotr filipivich

On 07/11/2014 1:20 PM, pyotr filipivich wrote: ...

Then again, the percentage of private employees that are fired for a single screw up is likely not all that high, either. Long-term incompetence often exists there as well as I've observed from nearly 50 years experience.

The VA thingie is going to catch out quite a few, I suspect, having already started w/ the head guy effectively fired by being pressured to point of having to resign.

There's at least a reasonable likelihood of some civil and criminal charges arising out of this mess going forward methinks, as well.

Reply to
dpb

That's because all the screwups are busy plotting how to blame someone else.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I had a "Sunfish", IIRC, made by AMF. A little spit of a sailboat with an open cockpit, and up and down keelboard. I had it for the 16 weeks I lived in Seabrook, TX, and was going to commercial diving school. It wasn't much of a boat, but even when viewed by sailboaters, it got a lot of respect for what it was, A BOAT FOR LEARNING HOW TO SAIL. It was also good for taking girls for a ride, once you learned how to keep it upright, and make it do what you wanted it to do. And even the spills were fun after the first one. It was easy to right, and you learned in one minute if the girl was a keeper. Girls who don't like to get their hair wet were usually a no go in other ways. Girls who laughed it off were offered a couple of beers and another ride. Fussy ones were let off at the dock or left to swim in if we were near a dock.

Know whut uh mean, Vern?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB