Microscope adapter for digicam

Anybody here made a microscope adapter for a digital camera?
I'm thinking of that sort of project for my Canon G3 and am in research
mode. Richard Kinch has a nice site here with some good info and links:
http://truetex.com/micad.htm
Anybody know of others?
For reference, I've had pretty good luck just holding a digital camera with the lens against the eyepiece of my microscope...

I tried that and got decent results at the expense of some vignetting. Maybe that's the best that can be expected without spending considerable money.
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:06:03 -0600, "Mike Henry"

Unless you're prepared to make major modifications to the microscope mechanics you can't get at the design focal plane of the microscope objective so you're forced to use the eyepiece or a relay lens to bring the final focal plane outside the tube length.
The normal working range of eyepiece focusing produces an apparent image distance of between infinity and about 10". If the infinity end of this range chosen, the light leaving the eyepiece can be brought to a focus by a digital camera which has preferably had any autofocus option disabled and fixed at infinity.
While this can produce an excellent focussed image there may be severe vignetting. This is because the light leaving the eypiece emerges as a cone of rays. This is produced by the eyepiece lenses forming a real image of the objective aperture. This is the exit pupil. In visual use, to make use of the full field, the observer automatically positions his eye so that this exit pupil is located within his eye.
In the camera case the axial position of the camera must be adjusted so that this exit pupil is located in the optical centre of the camera lens. It's a bit fiddly to do this so it helps to first experimentally locate the exit pupil.
Focus the microscope on to a very bright object. Then in a darkened room move a piece of ground glass or tracing paper near the eyepiece eye lens. At the right distance a small bright disc will appear. This is the exit pupil. Now organise the mechanics so that this pupil location is coincident with the optical centre of the camera lens.
The best choice for this is one of the small security cameras which use physically small lenses. The pupil location is pretty close to the eye lens and if the camera lens is a relatively long multiple element assembly such as a zoom lens it may be impossible to reach the optimum position and vignetting will remain.
Jim
If the digital camera auto focus is disabled and left set at infinity microscope; focusing the microscope for best final image will permit both the microscope and the camera to work within their normal

I did that too but I first taped up the hard anodized rim of the eyepiece to protect the camera lens from being scratched. I don't have the eyecups on mine.
--

Boris Mohar

Ritz camera is currently selling, on sale, a complete digital microscope that hooks to a computer. Don't recall the price, but I think it is about forty bucks. I intend to pick one up.
Mattel offered something like that several years ago- they sold like hotcakes, but they didn't make any more batches and so were then unavailable.
These are sold for kids, they do not have the quality for biology research, but hey, for a lot of home and shop tasks they should be adequate.
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:35:29 -0600, "Mike Henry"

Don't know of any other sites, but I've adapted the "Q-Cam" to a B&L with trinoc head, also AO series six with the same. Not much of a job unless you want the camera and both EP's in focus at the same time, then some kind of focusing helix is called for. Eyepiece projection might introduce several other factors too, but I didn't have to go that far. Light is the biggest problem, microscope objectives are small, hard to cram a lot of photons through.
Using a camera with a lens on it yet, I have no idea.
Rich

EP? Does that have to do with the focal plane of the microscope and camera?
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:12:38 -0600, "Mike Henry"

Sorry. EyePieces. Trinocular head, with the camera directly above the objective. Using a cable release, "see object in eyepiece, click, have picture." Eyepiece projection, with no lens on the camera, just projecting directly to the film plane, or in this case, the CCD. Requires a little more setup, usually just a helical focus on the camera plus one for the eyepiece. IF planned properly, not much travel needed on either one. B&L used to sell the Kodak Pony 135 without lens or focuser for this purpose, as well as an assortment of different lens/shutter combinations for different uses. Most included a focusing helix. Some were for large format, usually now unavailable film packs.
Rich

Oh - sometimes it's the obvious <g>. I'll try the frosted glass approach and see what that tells me.
Mike
Mike Henry wrote:

What? That page and links wasn't complete enough for you? :)
Abrasha http://www.abrasha.com

Just trying to cover all the bases. My optics knowledge is a bit rusty. Or maybe fogged over is a better description <g>.
Try looking at: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html and do a search for photography. For example, I saw an article on using an enlarger stand as the support for the camera (perhaps on that site). Also follow some of the links on the Micscape site.
There are numerous references to this sort of operation on the net - I've got a lot of files of them myself. Unfortunately, all of my bookmarks, files etc. are on a no-longer-connected PC, and I haven't had time yet to move them to my new, sexy machine.
If you still are stuck, I can dig up my files for you.
Joe (Correct email address is: jdella-feraATmmmDotcom)

Ive got quite a number of microscope adjusting racks and bases , Leitz, Leica, Nikon. Mostly complete microscopes used in the chip industry, missing a good bit of the optics and so forth. Including some of the film holders and so forth.
Gunner