Webcams for modifying

Webcams seem like a real bargain to me. At least some of the ones you can get off Ebay. I bought this one Ebay item no. 320613540603. It has a nice form for making it into a microscope eyepiece and is suppose to have a 3 megapixel sensor. Does anyone know of a good way to determine the sensor size? Pictures taken with it are changed to a .jpeg format so the file size is not the sensor size.

Oh yes. Almost forgot. The webcam arrived with a sheet of paper that says you can order direct from

and save 50 cents from the Ebay price and a coupon good for 2$ off an order of 10$ or more.

Other interesting things one can do is change them to a near infrared camera. It just involves taking out the IR filter that is on the lense and installing a visual light filter. Easy to find information is on the web. No point in my posting detailed instructions here.

You can also find info on how to stack a bunch of pictures to get clearer photos of the stars and planets complete with free software.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

3 megapixels... maybe 3.3Mpixels? 2048x1536

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Just load the image into the free image manipulation program Irfanview and click Image > Information

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I like the claim of 30 megapixels in these listings:

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell