Work Instructions by another name?

Okay, this may sound a little like trivial pursuit, but-------
I just wrote up some work instructions for a project to make 50 rug weaving
frames for my wife. She's going to put on 2 classes in making these 23" X 42" rugs this summer at our biannual national blacksmith conference in Rapid City, SD.
Anyway, I am wracking my brain trying to remember what we called "work instructions" at 3M company, primarily for hardgoods mfg, years ago.
It's not that I HAVE to know, it's just that I can't dredge up the name and it bugs me. At the time, 20 years ago, whatever we called them was pretty common in industry.
---Oh, why did I do it all? Well, I had to cut up a lot of 1 1/2" wide hardwood slats and then do several operations on them. I wanted to get the slats all cut to get rid of that mess in the shop, so, laying out my intended process flow gave me better insight into how careful I'd have to be in stock selection, tolerances, etc. before I started making some jigs. My wife may be doing some of the machining, so I wanted to make sure that the parts come out "right the first time". And no, I won't be expecting any ISO-9001 or TS whatever auditors in the check on me.
Pete Stanaitis ---------------

SOP?

http://www.instructables.com /
Plans?
Although "plan" is really a drawing that views an object from above, as in Floor Plan, and "elevation" one that views from the side.
jsw
Thanks for you thought, but, no, not "plans". These are the step by step instructions that tell a person exactly how to perform a process. Example for my current project: -------------------------------------------------------------- 2    Process:    Saw Slats to length    Material:        6 foot long Slats, 15/16" X 1 1/2"    Tools:        Radial Arm Saw    Setup:        Set up saw stops at 24" and at 43 1/2", with 1/32" accuracy2.1    Select 43 1/2" stop 2.2    Trim 1/4" from one end of a slat to square it up, or more, up to about 4", if needed, to remove any end splitting2.3    Saw one 43 1/2" slat and place it in a 5 gallon pail, about 40 per pail. Place short end of board in another pail.2.4    Repeat 2.2 and 2.3 until all 43 1/2" slats have been cut.2.5    Select 24" stop 2.6    Retrieve temporary pail of "short end" slats.2.7    Place recently cut end against stop and saw a 24" slat. Place finish cut slat in a 5 gallon pail, about 40 per pail2.8    Repeat 2.7 until all 24" slats have been cut--------------------------------------------------------------- It was our methods engineering department that usually had the job writing these things. If you are into ISO-9000, etc. this is the first place that auditors (used to) go to find things wrong with your "Total Quality" process.
Pete Stanaitis --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

Where I used to work, we called them process books. We tried to have the process books written at a level where someone who had done the job a couple of months ago would have no problems. We did not try to have the books so someone that had never done the job could do it according to the book. We found that if they were written at that level, most people would not read them because they were so long and detailed.
Dan

Procedure? Art
On 2/6/2012 19:35, Pete S wrote:

Operating procedure?
Pete S wrote:

I use 'Process'.
Good on ya!
--Winston
Pete, I must have missed this. We're fellow 3Mers. I quit in 1991 after 15 years as a manufacturing engineer in Bedford Park and Hutchinson.
I used to write Process Standards for how to manufacture various tape making processes.
Karl
On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 11:35:03 -0600, "Pete S"

Wow, your wife must have really strong hands! I can't even -think- of weaving wrought iron with my strong and tough hands.
(Well, someone had to say it.)
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin
Okay---- you laugh---- But some of our folk have done weaving with copper, brass and silver.
Pete Stanaitis ----------------

On 02/06/2012 09:35 AM, Pete S wrote:

Nobody follows instructions. Call them Directives and they'll be mandatory.
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 14:35:11 -0800, beryl wrote:

They still won't get followed.
Make them into training videos, and at least they'll get played in the presence of the folks who are supposed to watch them.
I call them a CNC program.

Assembley procedures?
Hul

Production order=process plan+raw material
Once the two are combined and have been released to shop scheduling, the paperwork portion will oftentimes be referred to as the "traveller"

You may be thinking of an Operational Method Sheet or OMS. It differes from a procedure in that it does not only tell you what to do, but has detailed pictures to show you exactly how to do it documenting practically every single motion. In other words it assumes you have no skills and are illiterate.
That's not the name I was thinking of, but you sure have the idea correct! Of course, our stuff didn't have many pictures back then, unless absolutely necessary.

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 11:35:03 -0600, "Pete S"

Process Specification Sheet. Dave
On 2/6/2012 12:35 PM, Pete S wrote:

Can't say for 3M, but some parts of the corporate world would refer to it as a "Work Breakdown Structure" or WBS.
Kevin Gallimore