MIG (GMAW) welding SS gas question

Greetings all,

We ran out of Ar/He (75/25 I think) mix while welding some 3/4" SS today. The "weldor" loaded a bottle of Ar/O2(95/5). Then he wanted me to come see how "funny" it was welding. I _know_, you are supposed to use a tri-mix, but hey, what does it matter as long as it works, right? NOTE My last sentence was meant to be very sarcastic, but it is also the mentality of most of my co-workers. GGGRRR!!

OK, my question; What affect will the absence of the He and/or the presence of the O2 have on the weld quality? It seems to be a lot hotter weld and also a lot "smokier"

Thanks in advance, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

If it is too hot you will get chromium carbide formations and lose your rust resistance.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler