Milling flats on steel shafts

Hi, I was doing fine using an el cheapo 2 flute 3/4" TiN coated EM but can now detect tool wear (onset of loud chattering) after milling about 25 shafts. Using "Tap Ease crayons" as lubricant.

Since this is essentially a side cutting job, would an indexable end mill (two carbide inserts) be the way to go? Need to flatten over 100 shafts. Thanks!

Reply to
oparr

yep, or 3 inserts

Reply to
Buerste

IMHO, it depends what costs you more - the insert mill and inserts, or 3 more el-cheapo TiN end mills... What's right for long term production may not make the most economic sense for a one-time job.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I can barely empathize. Today making five #2 BA nuts to go on a Stuart Twin Launch Engine.

IMHO, it depends what costs you more - the insert mill and inserts, or 3 more el-cheapo TiN end mills... What's right for long term production may not make the most economic sense for a one-time job.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

That would work, but if your cutter is dulling after only 25 shafts, I suspect you might be running a bit too fast. You might also consider changing the lube to something that can carry away a little more heat.

Try a bit of soluble oil and apply it with a flux brush while milling if you don't have a misting system.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thanks. I'll try anything that extends the life until new cutter arrives.

Reply to
oparr

You didn't say what the material is. Maybe 25 shafts is all you should be getting per cutter. Nor did you say how much material you are removing, cutter speed, etc..

What color are the chips? Has their color changed as did more shafts?

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Steel is all I know and said.

I just f>

Reply to
oparr

Steel is all I know and said.

I just f>

I noted that you didn't know what material you were cutting, so how did you determine the speed of the cutter?

You also did not answer the questions about the color of the chips. This was a really good question and if you bothered to answer you might learn something.

Also your comment about "glassy finish" is a red flag. A flat on a shaft is either for a wrench or for a set screw to seat on, so it is rather strange to have a "glassy finish" to be a requirement.

I am curious about not only the color of the chips, but if they are fine or course.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I have to ask why the "make/buy" decision came out as make? And why you didn't use hex stock -

Reply to
Steve