El Cheapo Video Card

This just in from the head MIS drone:

He wants a Video card, capable of running SolidWorks with no "severe limitations", that is AGP 2.0 compliant, 1.5v, and is as cheap as possible ("My God! Over $100 is way too high", would be a quote), from a vendor, not from eBay.

I almost told him to kiss the padded blarney stone, but figured I'd ask the faithful......

Mr. Pickles SW 2004sp2 :-)

Reply to
Mr. Pickles

Sporkman

Well Mr. Pickles, it depends on his definition of "severe limitations". If he wants it to run Solidworks, or to test SW and to determine what's at fault when things go wonky, etc. the best bet is to go with a real Quadro. I used Geforce's with the softquadro hacks for a long time (my laptop still does) but it's hard to get people to listen to you when something crashes, even though it was never the cards.

On

you can get the cheapest Quadro4 for $145 shipped. Anything less will likely suffer the multiple window slowdowns, etc. If that won't matter then go with a cheapo Geforce4, as Sporkman suggested.

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

"Sporkman" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfootYETI.com...

Or a GeForce4 Ti 4400, still better than a lot of Fx.

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

my VP560 cost me 120 quid from Kelkoo a few months ago. That's about 200 dollars. Since you guys always seem to have dollar to pound parity with electronics, you might be able to get one for $120.

Working very well with the 0655 drivers...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

You can still get new a Quadro2 Pro for under $100

Reply to
Daniel

Before you buy, check the solidworks website for graphics hardware testing.... they test most cards for compatability (Pass/Fair/Pass with limitations). Geforce cards have limitions....read up! BTW, tell your MIS person to quit buying shit. When it comes to productivity, a quality video card matters.

Tim

Reply to
Tim