Milwaukee 8650 Electric Shear?

This unit seems to be a pretty good value at about $160(internet price). Does anybody have an opinion about it? The Kett 200 is rated similar and a tad cheaper. Where is Kett made? I never heard of it before I started looking for a shear. Any other suggestions?

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Sorry, that is supposed to be 6850.

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

I have a Kett, it works fine, like a corded drill with a special head.

The key difference in portable shears is whether it uses 3 blades, and then curls up a "kerf" of waste material, or whether it is a "throatless" type, that cuts and then distorts the material to let the shear progress. The 3-blade type are good for straight or slightly curved cuts, like cutting a large panel in half, while the throatless type will cut tighter curves, but hard to use to cut a large panel in half.

Not sure whether the Milwaukee is the 3-blade or the throatless type. Harbor Freight has a throatless for $39 or so, works OK after you realign it a bit.

Richard

Randal O'Brian wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

My Milwaukee is a 3 blader. It has had a HARD life - before I got it it was used in a commercial auto-body shop trimming clips.

Reply to
clare

Randy,

We have a Kett for 14 ga and we use it on stainless a lot. It uses three blades, produces a stip of waste, and cuts straight the best, but will cut a slow curve. We had a Milwaukee at my friends shop and it was worthless...always coming loose on the blades...so we returned it. We are now getting a Bosch unit with two blades to cut curves...have no experience yet with Bosch.

Regards...Walt

Reply to
Hion solar