Most bang for the buck - New Thread

In terms for plastic aircraft kits, what do you folks out there consider to be the best kit for the price? Mine's a no-brainer: Revell Germany's 1/72 Tornado Series, particularily their Raf Gr1s's. Makes a mockery of the Hasegawa kits. Close second, Revell's 1/48 Dassault Rafales, only because they're 1/48.

Reply to
Hoosfoos

IMHO.....The new 3 in 1 armor kits from Dragon.

I have picked up the Tiger I (initial production) for $26 and the Sdkfz

251/22 (Pakwagon) for $24. You just cannot get a better deal out there (for an armor kit at least) than this considering all the "aftermarket" stuff that is included in the box. They are so jam packed full of stuff it takes me 20 minutes to get the stuff back in the box with the cover not bulging up!
Reply to
The Model Hobbit

Hello,

writing from Switzerland my best thing in value for money in the past few month?s was the 1/72 F-8 from Academy. Bought one in a shop for just

12.5 Swiss Francs. First thought that this was a lucky punch for me by a mislabelled price tag. Two weeks later found one in another shop for the same price. Revells new 1/72 F-16B is also best value at 19.5 Swiss Francs. Revells excellent 1/72 Tornados cost 26.5 or 29.5 Swiss Francs. This puzzles me a bit, since I have seen identical kitnumbers in the same shop on the same shelf with different prices! Compared with other countries, Hasegawa seems to be very expensive in Switzerland. Before buying I compare every kit from this company with some mail order company prices from the Internet. Sad to say, but in most cases mail order incl. p&p is cheaper than buying a Hasegawa kit in Switzerland. Has anyone similar experiences?

Greetings from Switzerland,

Martin

Reply to
Tomcat

REvell's 1/72 Sea King mk 41 current release - you get the WHOLE of the RN Sea King kit parts just to use the box intake guard!

Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

Hasegawa's 1/75th scale Japanese "Pete". It was given away FREE at an IPMS National show. It was worth every penny spent on it! And it was for guys who like to "build miniature models"...as opposed to the weenies who just want to "assemble kits".

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I agree completely with the 1/48 Rafale M. Just loved mine when I got it for the price I paid. Even with there being nothing up the engine intakes.

Also I loved the Revell Hawker Hunter in 1/32. Can't remember what I paid for it (got it cheap at a New Zealand South Island championships when the retailer was clearing stock before the show closed so he didn't have to take it all away back down south with him), but was more than pleased- maybe biased as I just love the Hunter.

Cheers.

Hoosfoos wrote:

Reply to
Sean McF

The R-G releases of the BV 222 and Ju 290 are remarkably cheap for the quantity and quality you get.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

There are two reasons I scratchbuild. One is if there are no kits available for a subject I want to build.

The other is that it really gives you the best bang for the buck. Wood and sheet styrene are really cheap. Even casting resin, as expensive as it is, is much cheaper than a kit with that much resin in it. Brass stock for gear and other small details is cheap considering how little you use on a model.

I like to build a lot in larger scales (1:32 and 1:24 in planes, 1:12 and 1:8 in cars). These kits get REALLY pricey. So scratching them is a good deal.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Scott, you ain't supposed to put the bits back in the box, man. You're meant to cut them off the runners and glue 'em together. Do I hafta tell you guys everything... (c:

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

I picked up the HMS Victory kit mentioned in another post for $35 plus shipping. As a clearance item.

Reply to
Spaceman

Well...if "clearance item" anecdotes qualify...

I recently bought a still-shrink-wrapped 1/72nd Academy B-377 Stratocruiser for $9.00.

And I picked up two sets of Minicraft's 1/144th "Classic Prop Airliners" (the 4 model set with DC-3, Stratocruiser, L-1049 Connie, and Boeing Clipper) that were (mis)marked for $10.04 on Hobby Lobby's clearance table.

Reply to
Greg Heilers