Prolific online hobby retailer?

Is there a good, or a "best one-stop" e-tailer that specializes in modelling? I've found a few online, but I am looking for a place where I can buy all my kits, paints, and particularly, (and I would love it if I could just get all of my side equipment...) Things such as solva-set (The decal setters, things I can buy to put a flat coat, the "glue" that you brush on that attaches models at the seams?

I lost all of my modelling equipment in a shed fire when I lived in California. All I have is my airbrush, compressor, and a few hobby knives that made it out. The chemicals I didn't feel much like rummaging through after what had happened. (That's another story I won't bore you guys with...)

Anyway, It's been four years since I've put a model together, and now that I have the time and resources to get back into the hobby, I very much want to do it again. Any good online e-tailers would be a very welcome suggestion. My favorite models are those from Tamiya, but any company that goes to great lengths to put good details has my interest.

I suppose in summary, if any of you folks have a one-stop-shop e-tailer that you frequent, if you'd not mind sharing it.

Also, do any of you guys have websites where you display some of your work? I have a penchant for WW2 fighter planes. Most of which (actually now, all of which) I eventually give away, but I have gotten proficient enough through the years to where I'd be inclined to keep, and display my work at home.

Thanks in advance for any help you might lend.

73's, WW6DJM

Daniel J. Morlan

Reply to
Daniel J. Morlan

Daniel try

,
or
.All provide very good service at competive prices. Pete

Reply to
The Laws

Thanks very much to all who've responded, and so quickly!

Since my experience is mostly with Tamiya, and Revell/Monogram kits, I was actually wondering if there was anything close to a consensus on which modelling company generally makes the most detailed, historically accurate models, and perhaps one that makes great models for the price?

I also can't remember the name of the stuff I put on my seams to get them to "melt" together. It made a seamless model, and I cannot for the life of me remember what the name of it was. :(

Anyway, thanks much for the information! It's greatly appreciated!

Regards,

message

Reply to
Daniel J. Morlan

Most likely Hasegawa. They can get pretty expensive (especially their

1/48 modern jets and 1/32 WWII aircraft @ $35-$75±), but they're generally worth the price. Coming close up the rear with a bullet seems to be Trumpeter's 1/32 series of modern and 'Nam-era jets (A-10, F-105) and WWII aircraft and 1/72 Soviet/Chinese bombers. (Tu-16, Tu-85/142)

Methyl Ethyl Ketone? (MEK) It's usually the main ingredient in liquid cement.

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

By "melt together" I assume you weren't using putty. I've never heard of a product intended for this; was it a brand of glue? tia

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

No it wasn't... It actually chemically melted the plastic together. It was absolutely fabulous for aircraft models... It produced a better hold than testors, or any other glue I've used. It definitely was NOT a glue.

DJM

Reply to
Daniel J. Morlan

Tenax 7R?

Reply to
Chris C.

Styrene is "glued" with a variety of "glues" that are basic veriations of MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) Go to your nearest Ace hardware and get a quart (lifetime supply) for about 3 bucks, use a small paint bursh to brush it against the backside seam of two pieces held together and capilary action will wick it into the joint. In 20 sec or so the joint is re-solidified and permanent.

message

Reply to
Peter J. Gross