Millermatic 250 ?

Someone I know has a Millermatic 250 for sale with no bottle and no spoolgun. It looks like fair condition. From past Ebay sales, $1000 or $1100 looks like about the going price. Does anybody have any thoughts on whether thats really a decent price or not and also whether it's a good machine in general?

thanks, Bob aka Wanderingmetalhead

Reply to
BobH

It depends on geographic area what the used price is. Some are very old. I can honestly say that I have used many of these units in many shops. Although I have seen other makes and models sitting in corners discarded I have never seen a millermatic abandoned. On .035 wire they will run forever without missing a beat. Larger shops which do large weldments often have these smaller machines exclusively doing light fabrications like handrailing. I did run into one that had its feeder rolls shaft bent. How that happened I don't know but I hammered it so that it ran reasonably true and it was back in service. I suspect someone was hamfisted on the roller pressure/wire tension. I have heard of millermatics with different branding go for as little as

500 but they were pretty beat up. The one I saw was also covered with overspray, likely from a body shop. Randy

thanks, Bob aka Wanderingmetalhead

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

I have one. It's a legitimate 200 amp machine, as far as I can tell from owning one about a year a very solidly made honest machine. I spent the $$ to get the spoolgun module and picked up a Miller 30A spoolgun on ebay so now I can run aluminum too. I think it's basically the same machine as the MM 251 just not digitally controlled. If you can, power it up and listen to it - is it buzzing heavily? That can be a sign of having been run for extended periods of time at close to its duty cycle rating. If possible, pull off the sheet metal covers and have a look inside. If it's quiet and clean, sure $1000 is OK. Although I paid $550 for mine with a bottle, so $1000-1100 seems a little high to me. But it seems to me as though my geographic area has a real good supply of used welders compared to some others (I live near Seattle, Washington).

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin