machinehunting

Hi everyone,

Today I went to a few of my regular haunts for machinery and found a new place, took some photos from the various yards with pricing.

The BP for 600 sounds good, but I'm not sure the unit on the truck for 1000 will pan out. I am thinking about getting one of those bandsaws. Most of this stuff looks pretty rough, any thoughts on buying stuff in this condition?

btw, what is a chucker? looks like a lathe with no threaded shaft lengthways and no tail stock. Is it worth getting a index 40 or 50 if the price is right?

Thanks,

Oliver

Reply to
V8TR4

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:53:14 GMT, "V8TR4" will pan out. I am thinking about getting one of those bandsaws. Most of

Ah..buddy..thats an Index 50 or 80. Not a bad machine if its not worn to shit. The Hardinge Chucker is a lathe thats used to do small turnings, no threading, no tailstock. Thats one of the oldest ones Ive seen in some time.

You want me to come stomp around machine tool places with you one of these days, just say the word, and Ill be able to give you a proper assesment of each machine you get a hankering on. You buy lunch.

Some of those pieces of iron look like shit, some look decent under the rust. The DoAll bandsaws have some promise if the guts are ok.

Like I said..the offer is good, any day during the week.

Oh....get that welder fired up and buring rod yet?

Gunner

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Reply to
Gunner

This place makes me sad, looks like a machine graveyard.

Jack Fisher

Reply to
Jack Fisher

"V8TR4" will pan out. I am thinking about getting one of those bandsaws. Most of

In no particular order, Don't know about Index mills, I've seen quite a few of them advertised locally for auction, either they were popular, or were junk.

Prices on the BP's don't sound too bad, but hard to tell what condition they're in from the pics.

Bandsaws might be ok, I've seen some that looked pretty rough still in daily service and they ran just fine.

Hardinge chucker is a production lathe, but if it's in halfway good condition, they're deadly accurate. They can thread, but with an overhead arm that I didn't see, and if it's not there, very expensive. Feed is continuously variable from the feedbox control on the right side of the carriage, tools are held on the turret with special clamps. Not made for long work, and until you get used to them, very awkward to run. Weight is about the same as a BP, it's no featherweight. Too much rust on that one, might not be accurate anymore.

Drill press at $15 would be a good buy, not enough to even make a dent in the wallet, and it looks like a fairly heavy production unit. Might need bearings, and might be play in the quill, nothing that can't be fixed.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

The DoAll in the front of the photo looks like an ML or Metalmaster and is probably worth the $350 if it's complete and not rusted so badly that things are frozen or badly pitted. But plan on tearing it down completely.

I'd be leary of most of the rest of the stuff unless all you're looking for is a beater and know exactly what you're looking at.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Be careful. A lot of folks are trying to unload junk.

I dont know what part of the country, or what country you are in, but here on the west coast of USA machinery auctions are about one a week and they cant give the stuff away. Between NAFTA and the second Bush recession, a lot of machine shops are closing their doors. Even the 2nd hand dealers cann't store all the stuff.

Don't be fooled into paying last years prices. They have dropped a lot.

I just picked up a Lebland 13" lathe with all the tooling and manual, $200. It was working then they shut the shop down. I cryed when I couldnt figure out a place for a surface grinder for $50.

There was a working CNC with manuals that when for a $1,000, after the acutioneer worked for it.

Now is a good time to give the home shop an upgrade.

From the looks of the picture, I would keep hunting. Good luck, Al

Reply to
Alpinekid

I have to build a bigger garage......

Reply to
ATP

After reading what most of you have said about these machines it sounds like they are not quite teh deal I thought they were when my starry eyes first spotted them behind the fence. I imagine that a machine missing parts costs more to get working then buying one complete for just a bit more. The other thing is do I want to spend my time rebuilding old machines or making the things I want to make. Well I actually like rebuilding old machines, but would rather get my work done first.

That hardinge chucker is intersting, seems like I could do most of the turning I need, and the guy has a 3 jaw chcuk for it he will throw in. The one thing I was thinking about witht he chucker was to convert it to a friction welder for narrowing axles. Make a jig to hold the pumpkin housing and the axle end fits in the chuck and then use a hydraulic arrangement to move the axle housing against the endplate. Is this a nutty idea?

Oliver

Reply to
V8TR4