Miller Trailblazer 55G update...sob....

I mentioned having bought a 400 amp Miller multiprocess gas powered welder a bit ago.

Its gota Continental F-163 4 cylinder engine in it.

I picked it up today, and took it to my shop, and started to putter with it.

I pulled the plugs, sprayed PBlaster down the cylinders, and checked the oil, looked good, the gas tank has about 1/4" of something that was once gasoline..have to drain that, water isnt visible in radiator, but could see where it splashed in the neck from hoisting and moving the welder.

No battery, so after letting the Blaster work its magic for an hour, I put a wrench on the nut on the end of the crank pully and tried to turn it over. Nope.

Tried harder....nope

Stood on the wrench carefuly...nope

Bounced on the wrench...nope...

Shit...damned thing wont turn.

I may have flushed $600 right down the toilet.

Plugs looked ok, with a very fine patina of rust..almost not visible

I filled the cylinders with Pblaster and laid a rag over the open holes. Tommorow Ill try it again.

What are the other options and possiblities? Generator bearings frozen? How would you check without splitting the engine off the genny? Not a fun task from the looks of it...?

Magnito/governor frozen? Waterpump frozen?

There is a thingy that has a linkage from the carby and is bolted to the side of the engine with a chaincase I think..one assumes thats the magnito/governor?

There is about 2300 hours total on this welder best reckoning...I may have been well and truely f***ed..though the seller did promise to give me my $600 back if it didnt work. He seems honest enough...shrug

Id like to give it the old college try though before going back hat in hand and pleading my case

As it turns out..the seller never ran it either..though the ad (written by his son) said it had been in storage for 2 yrs..implying it was running when put in storage. He got it from someone else who bailed out of his shop, ahead of the bill collectors, leaving most of his stuff behind, along with his wife and kids....

Claimed it had 851 hours on the Hobbs meter..true enough..but the "old meter 1550" scratched into the paint never showed up in the pictures....

All that besides the point..

Any suggestions what to do next..visa vis diagnosing or getting this thing to turn over? Ill pull the starter to see if its hung, but getting to the water pump etc etc is gonna be a real pain in the ass.

HELP!!!!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

You can isolate the water pump and generator easily enough by removing the fan belt. If seized, they can prevent the motor from turning if you have a good tight belt. You can put a lot of torque on the crankshaft in both directions by removing the starter and prying against the ring gear. Of course you can also break a tooth off the gear. There are a lot of possible seizure areas. I have a Farmall Cub tractor which was seized from rust in the timing gears, but that is very unusual and I doubt that the governor or magneto would be seized. I would put the probabilities as piston(s) first, valve(s) second, main or rod bearing(s) third, and generator bearing(s) fourth. If stuck valves is the problem the engine would likely back up some before stopping again. If so, do not try to force the valve(s) very much. Lubrication through the spark plug holes and valve side cover along with patience can prevent a lot of damage, such as a broken camshaft. If there is a removeable end cap, you could check the condition of the generator bearing. Good Luck!!

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

I suspect..that its piston #1..and dont know why, but it seems to have more crud and rust than the other 3, based on a bright light and a mirror inspection. Maybe a head gasket?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Perhaps just open exhaust valve and rain getting in while it sat?

Reply to
Pete C.

I think I may have paid too much for mine, too. But it came with a full cutting set, welding tips, tools, rods, a trailer, a tool box, a vise, and lots of goodies. I gave $300. I'm into it now for a total of just under a grand. I saw one the other day for sale locally for $1700.

The old boy I got my SA 200 from said it had sat for three or four years. Luckily, the engine turned. Point is, these are very tough engines, and unless it seized, it should come unstuck. IIRC, you said he said it was running when he put it up. Maybe you could get by with just pulling the head. Still, disconnect the belts, then try the big socket thing after soaking with Kroil or PB Blaster. Let us know if you ever find out what the problem was.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I once worked on a Packard from the early '50s that had sat in a field for awhile. The engine didn't turn over, so we pulled the head (straight eight). We soaked all the pistons in penetrating oil for awhile, then took a piece of wood and a hammer and, using the wood as a drift, tapped on each piston in turn. After awhile, it broke loose. Then we put the head back on, used a bunch of starting fluid, and fired it up. It ran at that point, at least long enough to get it back to town to the rebuilders.

Can't quite believe you can't get it to turn over, Gunner. I think you just gotta want it a little badder.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I would really like to buy something like this non-running Trailblazer or D40 for cheap and try to fix it, kind of like I did with the compressor. Would be a very fun project.

But no luck so far. A lot of sellers of such things lie a lot, like "you just need a $7 carburetor part from autozone". and say "it is like new but does not run: Yeah right.

Ignoramus12603

Or they say "ran perfect when put into storage XX months ago" and then you get there and the thing is missing the carburetor, alternator, starter & battery. Arghhh ...

To me cheap is cheap, like $100 or less. People selling a broken gas-powered welder from the 1970s for $600 are dreaming, and wasting people's time.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Yep.

Absolutely. Wasting their own time also.

Reply to
Ignoramus12603

And they think that they are sitting on a pile of gold.

Reply to
Ignoramus12603

Looked at some antique Lincoln with an Onan motor on it. This thing was OLD, or at least it looked it. He wanted $1400, and I was thinking of $200. Some people.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And I do the nastiest meanest thing I can. I take my money and walk, and don't give them a clue that they are clueless. Had they been reasonable at all, they might have made a sale. I may have bought a lemon or a jewel.

Steve

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I've used PB Blaster to free more than one old engine. If after a few days of soaking it still won't turn I would pull the head. My experience with these small tractor type motors is that they either set up from cylinder wall rust or because water ran down into the exhaust system and rusted a valve in place.

Reply to
Doug

The machine itself looks clean, remarkably free of oil spew, with just the right amount of cobwebs, old oil in the proper places under the hood, and only a tiny amount of storage rust on the machine anywhere.

Paint is faded, looks to have been on a truck or trailer for most of its life. Wireing looks very good, nothing sagging, cable tied properly in the harnesses and so forth.

It has a couple stickers from a construction/industrial company that I believe is long out of business on the outside...shrug...the general good condition, abilt faded paint etc is what caught my eye. It wasnt a hammered piece of shit in the slightest.

Genny looks good, with just the right amount of dust and no rust noted.

Shrug...looks to be in pretty good shape for a 20 yr old welder, and one assumes that 2300 hours isnt all that much for this type of machine?

I pulled the cover off the side, that covers the valves, no sludge/nasty stuff, and lifted the valves one at a time, all seem to be free, and the cam followers (?) all turned nicely, with evenly polished sides.

Shrug Im giving it the old college try though..hope to learn something.

Thanks

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

For further reference

The fine folks at

also offer free

Continental L head manuals online:

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Dad had a 4 cylinder power generator on his 28' Dodge camper. (old class - where the frame was a large truck frame and the wheels were semi-class wheels.)

One summer he came down from North Dakota - he was re-designing and installing a massive Radar up there... - the generator was frozen.

He put in head cylinder oil through the spark plugs and put the plugs back in. He drove the 'truck' 2500 miles and we went to the local Semi tractor service center that was in town. We got a massive box wrench - the generator had a hex shaft out one end and the generator on the other...

We put it on and rocked it slowly CW-CCW and then it rotated freely. Took off the wrench and pressed the start button. It ran for years when asked to run after the fix. He kept the big wrench in the cargo bay under the chassis with the truck chains but never needed it.

Martin

Mart> >

Martin H. Eastburn

If/when you get to that point, removing and replacing the head is very basic on the Continental. If nothing else, I noticed a real difference in power and idle recently after replacing a leaking head gasket on my Continental powered forklift. I removed a ton of carbon with a cordless drill and rotary brushes. All things considered, I was glad it began to leak. Just took a few hours.

You would need a gasket. Got mine from NAPA. I'd recommend a can of K&W Copper Coat spray as well.

Reply to
Maxwell