mixing a/c copper types

I am needing to add about 15 feet to an upstairs a/c line. I am wanting to konw if I can just add type "L" straight copper to the existing soft copper? thanks, JOsh

Reply to
Josh

Sounds like a return line.

No reason you can't do what you're asking, just make sure that if it's an old piece you're using that it's clean on the inside.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Josh,

You should be needing to add on to 2 seperate lines, one approximately 3x bigger than the other, if this is for an A/C. They will have to be silver soldered after you evacuate the system, then have a vacuum pulled on the whole system before recharging. While you have the system open, go ahead and replace the filter/dryer in case you don't get all of the crud out.

Hope this helps, Jim

PS I will also mention that if you should get caught blowing the refrigerant out into the atmosphere I believe the fine is up to $20,000US now. Of course if you are not in the US then nevermind. ;P

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Well, yeah, but be aware soft copper refrigeration tubing is 3/4" OD and hard copper couplings for L or K will be too big... .

Reply to
Rick

Unless your suction line happens to be 5/8" refrigeration tubing-then 1/2" hard will fit up...

Reply to
Rick