monster garage had the ultimate project this week

Did anyone see monster garage this week? they built this trike by using a 1972 Peterbilt. This thing was a masterpiece when it was done. I think they show the same episode on Saturday night. These guys were really talented craftsmen. great vehicle... I want one!

walt

ps. here's a link to the project:

wallster

Hell.... I want that thing... that kicked ass!!! ;-D

I only can't believe that he didn't get the block painted or anything. Could look sweet with some shiny paint and chrome.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

I saw it, thought it was hilarious.

Jesse hated the whole trike idea, then had a blast driving it around for several hours after it was built.

I noticed that the driver had very limited visibility to the right side, though. Might be OK on the highway, but wouldn't want to drive in-town much.

Felt sorry for the "gas tank guy". He might have been a little overconfident, but I didn't think he deserved the "national public humiliation". LOL

Mike

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Reply to
larry g

I was checking those out on their site this morning, awesome vehicles!

Walt

Reply to
wallster

I want to know how they got permission to drive it on the street.. I didn't see tags on it..

I thought it was a great show. Truly a conquest.. The guys who did it were as talented a group I've ever seen on that show.

I also felt Jesse James proved he was a full fledged asshole, "it's my way or its wrong" .. on the steering and then proceeds to have a completely juvenile pep talk with his ultra-talented team when they grumbled about being talked down to.. His behavior, irregarless of his talent, was child-like.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

Great show as always. Why didn't they show the radiator being mounted?

my 2 cents

Reply to
xman Charlie

I thought Jesse challenged those guys because he knew he could get more out of them. I thought they kept trying to go the easy route until he told them to do it his way. Jesse does come off like a bit of a pain the ass, but that vehicle wouldn't have turned out as cool if they did it they're way. At least that's what I got from it. That team was really talented.

Walt

Reply to
wallster

I was disappointed that they put the rider (driver?) on the side... I so wanted to see the rider straddling the engine, up on top of it... would have looked better, and would have improved visibility a lot.

It also would have been better to use a newer rig, with a Signature 600, though.... but I guess they don't quite have the budget for THAT :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Me too, but perhaps with a bit of *suspension*. Looks like one horribly rough rider to me.

Yeah, didn't much care for that. I'd rather have the seat mounted up over the tranny. That would have given much better visibility, and a more trucklike high driving position. Of course with no suspension, it would have tossed the driver around more than the low rider way they did it.

If you look carefully in the last segment, you'll see it does have a plate (and a chromed fuel tank, and a full set of lights). It didn't have any of that the first time they drove it.

The funniest bit in the whole show to me was the one shot of the cameraman trying to stay on the thing. It has *no suspension*, and the roads weren't all that smooth. Jesse at least had a seat. The poor cameraman was just kneeling in front of the tank on the right battery box. Bet he was black and blue.

He deserved it for not testing the tank, and then copping an atitude about the quality of his welding. Did you notice that they used his (patched) tank on the first drive, but in the last segment the trike had a different chromed tank on it?

They were very good, but I was disappointed that more details of the build weren't shown. This show had fewer details of the work in progress than many of the shows. I'd really have liked to see more details of their work.

His little sit down with the crew was distasteful. If that scene really was Jesse's idea, then I'd agree, he's an asshole, but likely it wasn't. Normally there's enough conflict and friction among the build crew to satisfy the producer's desire for dramatic conflict. But this team was too good for that, so I suspect the producer had to manufacture some, and it came off making Jesse look petty.

On a tangent, do you hate the announcers on this show as much as I do? It would be a good show without them, IMHO a better show. They could lose the marching bands and other distracting crap too. Just show us more of the damn build. This show isn't about human drama, it is about building cool weird stuff. All the dramatic conflict BS is why I don't watch that other Chopper show.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

In the last segment they did have a chrome fuel tank on it. I would have liked to see what their regular painter could have done with it.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Gary Coffman wrote in article >

I believe you will find that the "chromed tank" you are referring to was actually the original aluminum tank that had been polished with something such as Mother's Aluminum and Mag Wheel Polish.

We use it - and another polish we buy in two-pound jars at the local truck stop ( I cannot remember the name, and I am not in the shop at the moment)

- to polish a lot of aluminum pieces on the race cars and street rods we work on, and it *does* make aluminum look like it has been chromed when done.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Chassis Analysis Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

Wife and I were watching, she mentions how everyone was working together well without the continual bitching on other Monster Garages. I said that's what happens when you put together a crew of older people who have little to prove and are more concerned with getting the project done. (The guy and his fuel tank stepped on his own dick but even that wasn't too bad)

Then the camera person stirred shit and Jesse did the sit down. Then Wife and I discussed if I would put up with that crap for a toolbox and a bit of TV face time. Probably, if only to screw with the shit stirrers.

They are annoying.

That's not a bad show. Till the old man starts ragging. Then it's remote time.

Reply to
Mark

I considered that, but the fittings are different too. It may indeed be the same tank, but if so they did a good bit of rework on it between when it rolled out of the garage and that last scene where Jesse is tooling down the road.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Agreed.

For a week of work, you get $3k in overpriced MAC tools, and I don't think they were the ones I want.. Can I get $3k in special service tools instead?

Yup.

That's all the time.. I can't stand that show. They need to work more, talk less, and use proper welding safety attire.

I have a big problem with the sheer lack of basic safety precautions they take on these Discovery shows.. It's like someone didn't tell them UV light from an arc welder is bright and can causes cancer.. All exposed skin must be covered. Short sleeve shirts and a MIG welder aren't appropriate. There was one moron a few weeks back who didn't want to wear shoes on Monster Garage..

I'm amazed their insurance company doesn't see this stuff and cancel their policy.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

Was it Nevr-Dull Magic Wadding? Great stuff for brass or aluminum!

Reply to
Jack Erbes

How about $3,000 towards a bottom box? I sure don't need another top box, and I sure as hell don't need more duplicate wrench/ socket sets.

I tune in on occasion to get a laugh at the Hardly mentality. Are these people actually building custom machines? Hell No. They get a frame and start slapping off the shelf parts on it. Just like these people who go out and buy a HD then 'customize' it by bolting on the same parts from the same hand full of part suppliers.

Same reason I quit going to car shows. Use to be you could walk through a show or cruise or the pits at Norwalk and see a bunch of different ways people handled a problem. Each machine had it's own personality. Now it's the same parts from a handful of manufacturers bolted or welded together in different combinations.

When the kid on the chopper show does his own metal work it's interesting, but it's not enough to put up with the rest of the crap.

I saw that, wouldn't want to be in a shop with him. Referring to that person isn't lost on me, you were being kind.

Reply to
Mark

Wife and I discussed if I would put up with that crap for a toolbox and

Alot of those guys that are chosen to go on that show own businesses that they mention on the "monster profiles" The tools are nice, and being on TV is cool, but national advertising for your company is the biggest reason I bet these guys go on to begin with. Hell I wouldn't have even heard of JJ if it wasn't for the Discovery channel, now he's almost a household name. My 2 cents,

walt

Reply to
wallster