Looking for thin braded metal security wire

I have a electronic device that I always worry about losing/disappearing of
my desk. It has a small hole for a security wire, but none are sold. The
unit is a HP Jornada 720 PDA. I went on the Jornada NG and could not get an
answer, I wrote HP, nothing selling there. Where can I buy this wire the
stores use to secure their merchandize to the counters. It looks like a very
fine braded wire, and then it's held together by some crimped devise,
probably squeezed by a pair of strong pliers. Where do I get this stuff? Any
help is appreciated.......Peter
Reply to
PeterM
Ask at the computer store. Now you realize that the wire is only going to keep the honest people from taking your PDA(just like the lock on your front door just keeps the neighbors from coming in). A pair of good metal shears can make quick work of that wire.
Larry
Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote
No computer store has the wire. I have 5 security cables, none work. I mean the ones with the lock on it. When is the last time you remember ever getting help at a computer store. I know about the cutters, I never heard of a case where one was stolen that way. Let me tell you, and I'm old...........Peter
Reply to
PeterM
something like this, but with a smaller wire perhaps? #2083T23 mcmaster.com
StaticsJason
losing/disappearing
Reply to
Statics
Stainless steel aircraft cable in small diameter should fit your needs. You would also need aluminum duplex sleeves that crimp on the wire. I know my local Lowe's/Homedepot carries it in the hardware department. McMaster-Carr also carries it. HTH PL
Reply to
PJ
Age is relative, I suppose. FWIW I remember many decades ago visiting a lab at a university in St. Louis.and was amazed at their security measures. They had their stereo microscopes chained(big, big chain) and locked to the plumbing and the guy said he still looses one once in a while. In a former life, I was a public school science teacher. We had to be constantly vigilant for thieves. Locking the equipment up in the cabinets helps but, as we found out one Monday such measures just slow them down, thieves broke into the high school and into the cabinets and took all 45 of our balances(and helped themselves to the ham and bread in the kitchen on the way out)
Larry
Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote
I do some part time work for a neighbor who makes these security cables for stores to secure telephones, calculators and other desirables to counter tops. We've made about two million of them in the past couple of years. We made an automatic machine to crank out over 2200 an hour. I just did the PLC programming and other controls for it and some support machines.
The cable is steel, about 1/16" inch diameter, covered with a white vinyl coat.
Drop me a stamped self addressed envelope and I'll put in whatever length you need and some aluminum crimps. Don't wait too long because I'm about to do the snowbird scene, headed south for another session of volunteer teaching for the US Army Corps of Engineers.
email me for the address.
Earle Rich Mont Vernon, NH
Reply to
ERich10983
You could have a look at cycle brake/gear cable, and drill two suitable holes through a small piece of brass or similar metal and solder or braze the cables in. Then use a staple to secure with a small padlock to wherever you wish to keep it.
Reply to
Neil Ellwood
Sounds like you're looking for a thin wire rope. Hardware stores may have it, boating supply places will certainly have it. Try West Marine, or wherever your local fishermen or waterskiers go.
Al Moore
Reply to
Alan Moore
What tool do you use to properly crimp those sleeves onto the wire rope? And how expensive is it? (actually I'm more interested in 1/4" or 3/8" wire rope).
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
If it has a "Universal Security Slot (USS)" then it is easy to buy a laptop locking cable. Try for example:
If it doesn't, then your problem is going to be how to attach any cable to your actual laptop computer. It is really easy to buy 1/16" aircraft cable and some Nicopress fittings and make up any cable assembly you want, but what are you going to hook it to your laptop with? Duct tape?
Grant Erwin
Reply to
Grant Erwin
--------------- A good marine store can cut any length of stainless steel halyard wire and crimp all kinds of different fittings on the ends. Don Warner ---------------
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Donald
Deep-sea fishing leader and crimp sleeves, maybe. Used to get them at Long's Drugs out on the West Coast. If you're inland, good luck...
Stan
Reply to
Stan Schaefer
Go to
and do a search on "security lock" A bunch of cables, like the ones you may be looking for, will show up.
Reply to
Abrasha
At work we use some rather small stuff for safety wireing -- you know, passing the stuff through the head of a bolt to make things obvious if the bolt has started to come undone. We have a specialized crimping tool for that, but I doubt it would work for any large or load-bearing application...
Al Moore
Reply to
Alan Moore
peter The slot in the Jornada is for a Kensington lock. Kensington is a manufacture of computer accessories, and make a cable that locks into the security slot with a key. I use one on my portable and I believe that the Jornada uses the same slot/configuration. Let me know if you can't find the right unit and I will try to hunt up a part number for you. Any Office Max type store should have one. lg no neat sig line.
Reply to
larry g
crimped devise,
The security stuff (which here in the UK is sold as "security lock wire") is _not_ braided. Braided trace or laid wire rope is easily available, but it doesn't work because it's too difficult to get a good crimp that doesn't slide off. The security wire is only two wires, one wrapped around the other (which remains pretty straight) so that it forms a helical "screw thread" and the soft lead crimps won;t slip off.
Personally I'd use pushbike brake cable, because I already have it around and it's as strong as anything else that's likely to be available.
-- Smert' spamionam
Reply to
Andy Dingley
Excellent ideas from all of you, I have done the wire attachment, but now I'm after the tools for the crimping. Our BMW mechanics just used pliers, looks pretty tight, but I will play with it some more. Many thanks to all of you. You are a great bunch of wonderful guys......Peter
some crimped devise,
Reply to
PeterM
If I had to do that crimping job, I would use one of the hydraulic crimp heads and dies by AMP. They are designed for electrical connectors -- from #8 wire up to 4-0 wire, so one of them should do a good tight crimp with your cable doubled for an eye.
But most people haven't collected such things. I've been working at it for quite a few years, after being corrupted by a foot-pumped crimper set up for 4-0 cable in a job back in the late 1950s. My collection started when I got the electrically-driven hydraulic pump to drive the heads at a government surplus auction -- when I was really bidding for something else in the lot, and didn't notice what else I had won until I started loading things to take them home. (I forget whether that was the lot with the 16 channel stereo mix board, or the one with the master height gauge (a stack of offset gauge blocks driven by a 4" diameter thimble micrometer head. :-)
Enjoy, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Site Timeline