More mill wiring progress

I have developed a deep appreciation of DIN rail.

By now the mill is wired with fuses. There is two 20A fuses, for L1 and L2. From the fuses, I feed a 240->120v control transformer. Output of this transformer will be used, as part of the the estop circuit, as input to a coil of the main motive power contactor. I have installed the contactor and connected the VFD to it.

The point of this transformer is that even if only one fuse blows, there will be no power to the motive contactor's coil, so nothing will even possibly run.

More things to go on the DIN rail will be

1) 24vdc power supply
pneumatics)

2) Ethernet switch

I will also put DIN terminals for various forms of power, like 24vdc,

110v isolated, 220v to motion drives (servo and VFD). i
Reply to
Ignoramus8895

Yes, DIN rail is a nice form factor. One thing to note along those lines, is that if you need to add any custom circuitry, you can get DIN rail mount enclosures with built in terminal blocks to house your custom stuff. You can find them on DigiKey.com and probably other places.

Reply to
Pete C.

Even DIN terminals are very nice.

Ignoramus12954

Yes that stuff is handy.

Fuses are good, it keeps smoke inside the expensive bits.

Wiring duct is nice also.

And if you want to do a nice job a wire marker is handy.

That is about 100 bucks. It works well and properly tagged numbers makes everything easier. I think it is being superceded by something newer but the cartridges fit either one.

Wes

Wes

I will keep one thing unfused, which is the PC.

Also one thing will be powered before the estop contactor, which is the PPMC (the piece of hardware between encoders, servos and the PC).

I have not yet decided if I want estop to interrupt power to the VFD, or just the signal circuit that signals it to run.

My mill has wiring duct, it is nice as you say.

Absolutely. I have a Brother label printer that prints flexible labels.

Thanks Wes.

Ignoramus12954

Yes, DIN rails, Panduit duct and printed labels all make for a very neat and serviceable installation. Don't forget to label both ends of any wire. A stick-on document pouch stuck inside the compartment door with detailed diagrams is also a big help.

Reply to
Pete C.

They typically have their own built-in fuses anyway.

Hmm ... since the VFD can bring the spindle to a stop before the inertia would spin it down with no power to the VFD, but it is possible to have failures which would leave the VFD running anyway -- what I would suggest is to signal the VFD to stop, then pause about twice the ramp-down time and drop power from the VFD. There are DIN socketable TDRs (Time Delay Relays) which can be set for anything from about a fraction of a second to at least an hour.

*Nice*. I didn't know that they made industrial strength switches. The only question which comes to mind is how many things in there need to communicate with each other via ethernet? I would have thought that the sole purpose of the ethernet here is to move G-code or CAD files from the system on which they were developed to the system running the machine tool. [ ... ]

[ ... ]

fit either

Hmm ... I think that the forms of labels for this are better for wire labeling than what a Brother will produce. I've used some Brother labels (in a Kroy labeler) to label wires -- and had problems with the labels sticking. And Brady has been making wire labeling systems for at least 45 years.

Of course -- even nicer -- but it requires a factory to lay the cables into harnesses properly -- is a thermal printer which will spool the wire through labeling it every few inches -- and the label will stay with the wire there. You start with design software to uniquely identify each wire by a number or number-letter combination, and then produce the wire to the right length (plus service loop spare length), lay it out on a cable harness pin board, lace it properly, and then lift it up and plop it down in the project. (Oh yes -- you probably want to crimp terminals on the ends of the wires at just the right length to leave a service loop before you drop it in place.) (This is how the wiring harnesses in flight simulators (and presumably the aircraft which were being simulated) were done -- projects in question were for the Navy at that time. And the software was run on a Mainframe at that time, while the simulators were controlled by one or two minicomputers. No micros in those days. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

He'll need a port for the netcam he'll mount on the machine for remote monitoring of the long slow jobs.

cartridges fit either

P-Touch labels are available in an industrial strength adhesive version which are good for labeling modules, servo drives, etc. For wires just put the P-Touch label on and cover with clear heat shrink tubing. Some P-Touch models like the 1500PC I have also have the nice feature of printing graphics, which can allow you to do machine related icons.

Reply to
Pete C.

exactly,

I think that pracyically, it is better for estop to operate a signal.

I may have a ethernet based webcam on this mill.

I will also use this controller to post to usenet from garage and list stuff for sale.

cartridges fit either

they figured it out and make label tape that is suitable for cables.

I promised to gunner, no more new machines!

Ignoramus12954

You are reading my mind!

cartridges fit either

I have something like that. Brother 15????.

Ignoramus12954

makes everything

cartridges fit either

P-Touch is the line of label printers made by Brother. The PT-1500PC is the one I have, it's PC only (USB, no keyboard), and it will print any graphics you want. Nice for putting tool pictures on your tool chest drawer labels for faster ID, and other specialty icons.

Reply to
Pete C.

That is an excellent suggestion. When we have a 70-100# pound chuck turning at

3000 rpm a M5 stops quicker than an estop. Of course on most machines, the door locks won't open until zero rpm. In the the case of an open mill, I like your idea.

Wes

Wes

Years ago I used 3M write on labels. I covered them with clear heat shrink. It worked pretty well. I *hate* wire labels you can not read. The numbers are gone but the problem is right there in your face needing a repair.

Wes

Wes

I would recommend that you use 24 volts for the estop line and going to the microswitches. The first time you get a shock after touching a microswitch with 110 vac on it you will know the reason why. Every machine I worked on uses 24 volts on all the control input wiring.

John

Reply to
john

The ones that dont use 12 volts.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch