motorcycle axle steel

What is the best steel to use for motorcycle axles. Heat treating or no? Thanks

Reply to
KD

snipped-for-privacy@velocedge.com (KD) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Go with proven British quality. Use uncooked spaghetti.

Reply to
Hitch

On 13 Apr 2004 09:26:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@velocedge.com (KD) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Probably the same stuff the motorcyle makers use. No worries.

**************************************************** I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry ........no I'm not.
Reply to
Old Nick

On 13 Apr 2004 17:44:53 GMT, Hitch vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Get it right dummy! He said "steel"! The guy's _nearly_ there!

**************************************************** I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry ........no I'm not.
Reply to
Old Nick

why would you waste your time replying with dumb ass answers...got picked on in school didn't you... Anyways is 4140 ok in an unhardened state, or should it be hardened.

Reply to
KD

On 13 Apr 2004 17:56:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@velocedge.com (KD) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

(1) Same reason I am replying now. I was waiting for another web process and had nothing better to do for a minute or two.

(2) The topic grabbed my interest

BUT

(3) It seemed a dumbarse question as asked. It also had little or no effort at explanation or even politeness.

Actually, only part of the answer was an attempt to be "smartarse". I would think that the motorcycle people would know best.

I won't waste any more.

You are telling me that aren't you?

Look. I have no idea. But if you are building a motorcycle, and cannot even tell the difference between hardened and "heat treated", and have no idea about the metallurgy of the axles (a rather inportant part I might add) then you are out of my sphere of interest, let alone my area of knowledge about m'cycle axles.

**************************************************** I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry ........no I'm not.
Reply to
Old Nick

Haredened it will be more brittle. I'd rather have it bend than break. 4140 even soft is a LOT stronger than mild steel. I kinda like ShokPruf for axles. Very high tensile and yeild, yet will bend long before it breaks

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

like I need a course in metalury to make an axle....old nick f*ck off. I wasn't posting to you to begin with. I was replying to the spaghetti man, but it applies to you as well. 3 posts from you and zero information. Good job. Why do you even bother writing if your not going to give useful information. Doesn't make sense. Thanks for the help on the Shokprof. For your information axle material is all over the map. I have seen people even use 12L14...scary yes. Not hard to tell the difference.

Reply to
KD

Perhaps it would be of a little more use if you specified a bit more on the application.

1200 Horsepower of drag bike? Moped? Road racer? Cruiser? Restoration of an antique? Does it require threading or is it clamped in place by the fork caps? Holes for pins? Stepped sections? What size are we talking about?

You are really asking a "How big is big?" question without at least providing a bit of context. And getting surly when you got smart arse answers probably will not get you much in the way of help from many of the knowledgeable here, even if you do provide enough information to allow advice to be given.

To me the best is what I have vs. what I do not have. FWIW I have never seen a bike axle that I could not carve a easy chunk out of with a file, so unless you were looking to make the absolute lightest weight thin wall tube axle ever, I doubt there would be useful benefit from heat treatment. If you were, and you have to ask, you probably shouldn't.

If I had to make one for me, I'd use what I had. Look at the load on the axle cross section and figure out what kind of strength you need, and see if stuff like 12L14 will do. At least it turns easily. It may be overkill for your app. Or not.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

snipped-for-privacy@velocedge.com (KD) wrote in news:28c8f2d8.0404141255.2d2be96 @posting.google.com:

Sorry if I offended you by trying to add a little levity to our ng. But as SWMBO always says "F**k 'em if they can't take a joke".

Plonk

Reply to
Hitch

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:15:17 -0600, Trevor Jones vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Thanks Trevor. I couldn't be bothered supplying such a well-placed reply.