Mounting 15" rims on 13" lathe?

Got some 15" aluminum car rims that need a little work to remove some dings and scrapes on the outer rim. Plan on smoothing and polishing rims while mounted in the lathe. How can I do this in a 13" lathe without jacking up the head stock?

Reply to
Mike

Waynemak

Unless you can mount it to a vertical rotary table and use the lathe like a mill it sounds physically impossible to me.

Reply to
ATP*

cut off the lathe bed

Reply to
Ignoramus14838

Well, you could rotate the head stock to face the other direction. Might be a bit hard to power that way. Ah, if you had an axle and a hub to bolt the wheels to, and the axle would fit through the spindle, from the back side, to be held by the chuck.....; I hope the shaft is a tight fit and/or the lathe is heavy and well anchored. Also, get someone to take pics, from a safe distance, for the group. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

First take off your tailstock, then get an old axle that your rim will fit on. Chuck it in the 3 jaw, if it's not long enough for the rim to overhang the end of the bed make an extension from a length of pipe bored so the axle spline will fit in. Secure it with a setscrew. Support the axle with a steadyrest. This will allow you to file out the dings with a good aluminum file and polish the rim. Engineman

Reply to
engineman1

"Mike" wrote: (clip)How can I do this (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Forget the lathe. Mount a rim on the rear wheel of your car, and start the engine. Use a jack stand as a tool rest, and wood gouge as a cutting tool. (Did I mention jack the car up?)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Also, block the other three wheels, and as a safety measure, park loaded dump trucks touching both bumpers. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Reply to
william_b_noble

Reply to
Mike

Mount them excentrical, switch to highest speed, power on and see the bed beeing suitably deformed? Or what?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Get out the cutting torch, and make it into a "gap bed" lathe .

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:11:22 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Mike" quickly quoth:

Step #1: Carefully hacksaw the ways...

Oh, never mind. ;)

2 thoughts, a la (our old friend, Rube) Goldberg:

How about cutting off a full-floating axle housing and axle, mounting it to a stand, then welding a sprocket or pulley on the axle stub, belt a motor to it, then using that as a pseudo lathe? Lotsa work.

Easier, is to use a trailer stub axle mounted vertically, hang tool rests over it, and move a tire-mounted rim by hand. Alternatively, bump a rubber-pulleyed motor onto the rim/tire to rotate it, perhaps with an old tire.

  • Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
  • --Noah *
Larry Jaques

Borrow a brake lathe.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Get out a file and some sandpaper and dress out the dings and scrapes. Don't bother with the lathe. Way too much work for the results achieved, and if it's in a lathe you'll be tempted to remove too much metal and will weaken the wheel.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

DANGER! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!

Don't try this on a vehicle with Posi-Traction...

Seriously, mount the rim on a front axle, take a small motor with a 1/2" shaft, slip a couple inches of old, rubber garden hose on the shaft, let the shaft bear on the rim and file away...

Or, put an appropriate pulley on the motor and take a long v-belt (fan belt, maybe?) around the rim and spin it that way.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster