Pumpkin Guns/Cannon holy #@$%

I saw a very large pumpkin cannon today; my son was very excited almost as much as me. The barrel is about 30 to 35 feet long; it's connected to a 400
to 600 gallon air tank? Looks awesome built with one hell of a paint job. The thing is on a triaxle trailer. I went in and asked when they use this thing and next weekend is the one time a year they compete. It's not truly open to the public but it's along a public road. I hope to get out and get a few pictures this weekend. Now this is someone with some serious time to do some BIG metal working projects. The owner is a welder.

Saw a program about Punkin Chunkin. They shoot them from air cannons, and have a centrifugal sling class. They also have one of those medieval flingers, can't recall the name.
Looked fun, and they got some incredible distances.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

trebuchet?
Onager! Bugs
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 06:33:26 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, t

That's it. Links follow:
http://trebuchet.com/index.html http://www.jarkman.co.uk/toys.htm http://www.eskimo.com/%7Everne/treb.htm pianos, anyone?
---------------------------------------------------------------------- * Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy * --Noah * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    --I still wish I could interest a few folks in my area to help me put one together, but nobody seems to want to spend the time! I've got two great junkyards to snag hardware, too. Sigh...
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A greasy donut, a cup of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : coffee and thou...
steamer wrote:

Exactly what part of the planet is your area? A pumpkin cannon sounds like a fun project. I'm a bit north of the DFW area.
Pete C.

Pete, I'm south of DFW. I've got a 500 gallon propane tank and a gas air compressor. What caliber is a pumpkin?

Hard question to answer - Which one did you designate "ammo" for this particular shot? :)
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
| wrote: | | >steamer wrote: | >> | >> --I still wish I could interest a few folks in my area to help | >> me put one together, but nobody seems to want to spend the time! I've | >> got two great junkyards to snag hardware, too. Sigh... | >> | >> -- | >> "Steamboat Ed" Haas : A greasy donut, a cup of | >> Hacking the Trailing Edge! : coffee and thou... | >> http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm | >> ---Decks a-wash in a sea of words--- | > | >Exactly what part of the planet is your area? A pumpkin cannon sounds | >like a fun project. I'm a bit north of the DFW area. | > | >Pete C. | | Pete, I'm south of DFW. I've got a 500 gallon propane tank and a gas | air compressor. What caliber is a pumpkin?
What's the thing called that's holds shot in a shell? I'm drawing a blank here. They use that to keep the pressure from destroying the pumpkin before it can get very far up the barrel. In fact, that's part of the range problem, because that usually falls short while the pumpkin continues on. I guess they started tying the thing with a cable or something to the gun so it wouldn't classify as part of the projectile, thus getting around a technicality. If that's what they have to do, and technicalities mean that much, then those guys don't just put some serious money into it, they put some serious emotion into it as well!

You're looking for the word "wadding".
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.

Actually...in this case..its "sabot"
Gunner

| >> What's the thing called that's holds shot in a shell? I'm drawing a | >> blank here. They use that to keep the pressure from destroying the pumpkin | >> before it can get very far up the barrel. | > | >You're looking for the word "wadding". | | Actually...in this case..its "sabot"
That's it. I was starting to feel stupid there for a minute. Glad to know I wasn't the only one drawing a blank!
carl mciver wrote:

Would it not be correctly termed "wadding" if it is behind the pumpkin and serves to cushion the accelerating force on the pumpkin, vs. a "sabot" that surrounds the pumpkin on the sides as well and serves to seal and guide it in the bore?
Pete C.
I'm obviously no expert, but two things: 1) the pumpkin will be irregular in shape at best and it'll truly difficult to find pumpkins whose profile will allow a precise fit, so a sabot's function sounds correct. 2) the pumpkin's acceleration will obviously be so great that the pumpkin won't stand the acceleration part of its ride before disintegrating, so wadding is also necessary. The sabot on shotgun shells has a sort of wadding function built in, so is it called a sabot or wad? Not something I'm gonna get wrapped up over, that's for sure!
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:28:32 GMT, "carl mciver"

Shotgun shells that fire shot..use shot cups and occasionally wads. Shotgun shells that fire a solid projectile, a finned slug or dart acuatlly..use a sabot to hold the projectile..and they fall away once it clears the barrel.
Wadding seals the bore, but does little to cushion the pumpkin.
Gunner

Hence most of the pumpkin cannons seem to use low pressure, high volume air. They tend to have a huge surge tank coupled to the barrel via a ball valve and a high throughput connection.
Think tire-bead seating machine.
Jim
please reply to:
<snip>

I'll go with that.

<puts on official pedant hat to relieve some locally-ocurring boredom> Duzzat count for my 12 gauge slug-chucker? That's a solid projectile, right?
I can't help eyeing the disassembled Remington "Slugger" shell laying nearby, which shows lots of signs of wadding, but nothing recognizable to me as a sabot...
Going down the stack, it's got a rolled crimp holding down a slug with an exposed nose, which is sitting on top of (not in or surrounded by, just sitting on top of) some sort of rubber-like plastic ring, similar to a garden hose washer, but smaller and stiffer, which in turn sits on top of (again, on, not in) a thick - I eyeball it at about half an inch - fiber plug, which is above a half inch or so tall plastic "pillar" with an integral bore-diameter base that sits on top of another thick (this one only about 3/8 inch, I'd say) fiber plug, which sits on top of a thin piece of a cardboard-like substance that keeps the powder tamped down against the primer.
Other than the shell casing itself, nothing is wrapped around any of the stack in such a way that it would prevent direct, intimate contact of any portion of the OD of the stack with the ID of the barrel.
Where's the sabot??? Did I blink and miss it? :)
<takes off pedant hat and hangs it back on the virtual rack> Gotta tip the hat your way for the sabot/wadding distinction, though - I wasn't aware that the punkin-chunkers had taken up sabots. Last time I paid attention, they were wadding them heavily, but hadn't progressed to the more advanced sabot concept.
--
Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.

Chuckle...sabots are typically used for sub bore diameter projectiles. After all..Sabot means "shoe"
Your slug, if its a bore riding full diameter projectile uses a wad behind it to seal the bore. Some of the early Forester type hollow base slugs, which used weight forewards stabilization used only an over powder wad. Brenneke and similar slugs use a wad at the base of the slug for bore sealing/wiping
You may find these of interest
http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/12.htm http://www.strategypage.com/hotstuff/articles/dls20055271228.asp
http://www.polywad.com/qs12ga.html http://www.remington.com/ammo/shotshell/am_prsabotslug.htm

Hence the derivation of the term 'sabotage.'
Jim
please reply to: