Mystery metal grains? Cobalt?

Found a few lbs of it in an induction furnace that I bought for $30...
Picture:

These are oxidized metal grains. The oxidation color is bluish and
most closely resembles blueberries, though I am somewhat color blind.
Any idea what this metal is? Could it be cobalt?
Reply to
Ignoramus16448
one of those chunks with a hammer ?
Reply to
Terry Coombs
"Ignoramus16448" wrote in message news:qJqdne snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...
Steel turns blue when heated.

NH4SCN is ammonium thiocyanate.
A simpler test is to dissolve a little in hydrochloric acid, dry the solution over heat (acid fumes!), and see if it turns blue. You could neutralize the acid by adding garden lime or baking soda until it stops fizzing. I don't know if other metals would interfere.
(II)_chloride
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Definitely not copper, when ground down they look dull grey. Not magnetic.
Reply to
Ignoramus16448
That sounds like a plan. The induction furnace is 100 kva by the way
Reply to
Ignoramus16448
You really need to splurge and treat yourself to one of those handheld x-ray fluorescence machines. No more guessing on mystery alloys or things like these beads. You could even do analyses for scrapyards and pay it off even sooner :-).
Reply to
Carl
Koslow Scientific
has all sorts of metal ID kits. You may want to check them out.
Disclosure: I do a lot of electronic design work for them, but don't make any extra money from sales.
Reply to
rangerssuck
Cobalt is ferromagnetic, so unless it is fully oxidized, it would be magnetic.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson
So it is not cobalt... no attraction to magnet...
Reply to
Ignoramus2085
Perhaps the light blue color came from oxidized copper plating?

Jim Wilkins
The hand held xrf machines cost about as much as a economy car. And the local scrap yard has one already. But if you send me one of the buttons I will try talking one of the guys into scanning it.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster
Palladium beads? They're used in catalytic converters on autos and withstand high temps.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
It s a copper phosphorus alloy or compound, as foud out with xrf gun!
Reply to
Ignoramus22058
Nice new toy? Are they under fifty grand yet?
I bought a Flir C2 for my birfday. This Old House needs work. LOL.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
It was at a scrap yard, I do not own one...
Reply to
Ignoramus25194