mystery metal

While "organizing and cleaning " the "stuff" at the high school I'm helping at, came across the following item. Two peices of a heavy metal, feels heavier than steel, they are "shrink wraped" to a peice of corrugated cardboard with the following printed on a stick on lable: 6980 KH FK-20M STB - 232

I measured one as .080 tck by 1.032 wide and a little over 6" long

There is a yellow sticker warning lable that says among other things:

Warning, grinding this product will produce dust that pontetialy be hazardous ...

Any Ideas what it may be? ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Well, beryllium is what I'd have thought of first about the dust warning, but it's too heavy.

Do you have an accurate scale?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Lead? Printers type metal? Is the metal soft? (Can you score a line on it with your fingernail?) What color is it? Is there any rust on it?

You can measure its density - eureka!

Grant

Lewis Hartswick wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Looks like it's a solid carbide cutter blank.

The text under the second picture refers to FK-20M....

Jim Stewart

Denser than steel and potentially hazardous as an airborne particulate: uranium, beryllium copper, lead, leaded brass/bronze, cadmium, cadmium solder, mercury amalgam, niello, to name a few. Color, density, and hardness might help narrow the choices. What else does the warning label say?

Bert

Lewis Hartswick wrote:

Reply to
Bert

Reply to
Cliff Knight

To add to this, I found the STB 232 as a blank also:

Dave

Reply to
David A. Webb

Aha Hah ! Looks very much like that is it. Havent had a chance to weigh it yet but will if I can find a sensitive scale. Thanks. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Yep. Must have been bought years ago to try and repair or build some woodworking router bits. Will have to lable it well and put it somewhere "special" ( that means it'll disapear forever ). Thanks ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

And from that page, using the link at the bottom, does the Warning label the OP noted look like this?:

Reply to
Brian Lawson

If you need to find a good use for it, it makes a good, wear resistant platen for a 1x 42 belt grinder.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Not quite but the same idea. I'm sure that is waht it is now. Bigest question now would be how to cut it into peices suitable for some use. Atachable by brazing I'm sure. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick