mystery metal

While "organizing and cleaning " the "stuff" at the high school I'm helping at, came across the following item.
Two peices of a heavy metal, feels heavier than steel, they are "shrink wraped" to a peice of corrugated cardboard with the following printed on a stick on lable: 6980 KH FK-20M STB - 232
I measured one as .080 tck by 1.032 wide and a little over 6" long
There is a yellow sticker warning lable that says among other things:
Warning, grinding this product will produce dust that pontetialy be hazardous ...
Any Ideas what it may be? ...lew...

Well, beryllium is what I'd have thought of first about the dust warning, but it's too heavy.
Do you have an accurate scale?
Lead? Printers type metal? Is the metal soft? (Can you score a line on it with your fingernail?) What color is it? Is there any rust on it?
You can measure its density - eureka!
Grant
Lewis Hartswick wrote:

I think Jim's got it--carbide is quite a bit heavier than steel and it's dust can be bad if a lot is inhaled.

To add to this, I found the STB 232 as a blank also:
http://www.eagle-carbide.com/bl_stbsmain.html
Dave
"David A. Webb" wrote:

Yep. Must have been bought years ago to try and repair or build some woodworking router bits. Will have to lable it well and put it somewhere "special" ( that means it'll disapear forever ). Thanks ...lew...
If you need to find a good use for it, it makes a good, wear resistant platen for a 1x 42 belt grinder.
Randy

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 03:16:51 GMT, David A. Webb

SNIP
And from that page, using the link at the bottom, does the Warning label the OP noted look like this?:
    <http://www.eagle-carbide.com/warningmain.html
Brian Lawson wrote:

Not quite but the same idea. I'm sure that is waht it is now. Bigest question now would be how to cut it into peices suitable for some use. Atachable by brazing I'm sure. ...lew...
Jim Stewart wrote:

Aha Hah ! Looks very much like that is it. Havent had a chance to weigh it yet but will if I can find a sensitive scale. Thanks. ...lew...
Denser than steel and potentially hazardous as an airborne particulate: uranium, beryllium copper, lead, leaded brass/bronze, cadmium, cadmium solder, mercury amalgam, niello, to name a few. Color, density, and hardness might help narrow the choices. What else does the warning label say?
Bert