Mystery tool - measuring device

photo and this text posted to the drop box using the file name "mystery-tool-mic-and-gauge" there is a single JPEG and a single .txt file. Interesting little device containing a micrometer head and a dial indicator and some framework described below.

so, anyone know for sure what this is? (wanna trade for something if you can use it?)

  1. length from the flat at the end of the micrometer to the end of the mounting tube is 6 inches
  2. micrometer head is a Lufkinm duak unducatir us a federal model B5M (.0005 inch readout)
  3. cylidrical mounting part is steel with knurled screw and a guide bushing that goes through it.
  4. ID of mounting part is 0.560 inches, OD is .875 inches. the cross drilled hole bushing ID is (as best I can measure it with dial micrometer)
0.185 inches
  1. the main body is aluminum, it says "pat pend" in an old looking font next to the dial indicator
  2. the flat bottom part through which the micrometer protrudes slides on two steel guide rails that are affixed to the bottom part and slide in holes in the main body. movement of this part registers on the dial indicator. There is a spring inside one of the holes for the guide rails that presses the assembly towards its maximum extent.

my best guess is that this was used either with a press to montitor the thickness of metal as it is loaded (set the micrometer so dialindicator reads 0 at proper thickness), or with a drill press to precisely set a depth on a chamfer or drilled hole - but I am not convinced by either of these speculations. The fact that it says pat pend means that someone thought there would be a need for lots of these.

if you have ideas, please drop me a note at william_b _noble at MSN dot Com (remove spaces, correct the dot)

Reply to
William Noble

Here's a direct link...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I was too lazy to look up the dropbox. And too lazy to ask you for a link I can click. :-)

I would use it for measuring the wall thickness of tubes. I second, that it looks like self-made for production.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

thanks, I was just about to post that link, and Poof, you've done it for me

Now, what was the intended use for this tool - that is the $64,000 question

(anyone remember that show? now, $64,000 will just barely buy you a decent car)

Reply to
William Noble

Just a guess. But it kind of reminds me of some of the geometry measuring tools that are used in dimensional tolerance quality control.

Now days its all electronic but this could be hooked up to a swing arm, the dial 0'd on the points of reference and other measurements taken from there.

Reply to
marc.britten

I do not recognize it but it appears to be a special purpose gage. I would guess that it might be to check a critical dimension on some sort of ordnance.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young