Need a little advice about rebuilding machine tools

Well, based on advice received here, I bought the Connely book on rebuilding machine tools - Thanx Gunner! Good book with a LOT to learn. I would love to use an easier tool than a scraper - maybe a power scraper? - but we'll see.

But an immediate question that I had is not answered anywhere in there. What should I use for a best quality *Way Wiper*? Lots of places say *Felt*. My wife got me some felt, but it seems pretty poor for the task. Did she just get a poor grade? Is there a way to specify *Industrial Felt*? Is that something differnt than Sewing Grade Felt? Is there a synthetic matgerial that's better? Windshield wiper material?

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks again everyone,

-jim

Reply to
jjjjj

Most fabric store "felt" isn't wool felt, but a synthetic fiber that isn't even truly felted. You want genuine felted wool in the right thickness. We're talking about stuff that grows on sheep, and has been sheared and put through a "felting" process. The corruption of language is everywhere.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Jim, Chamois leather, as used by window cleaners, springs to mind. Here in NZ that's pronounced shammy leather.

Reply to
Mike Clayton

Do they still make felt insoles? The kind we used to toast on the warming oven until one fell in the pail in which we made coffee in the hunting camp; very hearty coffee that morning! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Check out McMaster-Carr for a wide selection of felt. Call them up and they'll probably be able to recommend a grade or refer you to the maker.

Reply to
Mike Henry

I can get felt insoles from 1/8 to 1/2 . One pair equals a lifetime supply of wipers for my lathe . Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Super, thanks guys!

It is wonderful how I can learn from you all on this newsgroup. I do appreciate it!

One last quick question, how thick should it be? I checked McMaster-Carr and was surprised to learn that Wool Felt comes in SAE grades! I picked the best - SAE Grade-#F-1 {16lbs/sq.yd} {500psi Tensile Strength} {30-40 Shore Hardness} {21psi compression for 10% deflection} {High Vibration Absorption} {Excellent Abrasion Resistance} $8.79/Sq Ft! Ya gotta love the internet!

But which thickness? 1/8" (sounds right to me) or 1/4" (a little too thick?) 1/2" (right out) ....?

And thanks again to all who helped.

-jim PS, I'm also going to go through my auto stuff to see if I still have a chamois. And its pronounced 'Shammy' here too, probably because of the French origin of the word.

Reply to
jjjjj

What I do..is find an old cowboy hat..a cheapy at a second hand store (If you do this with a Resistol or Stetson, I will personally trample your house plants and abrade the belt in your vaccum cleaner) and cut slightly oversized wipers. Then wash it really really well to get the clay out of it (used to keep its shape) and stack them to the desired thickness then trim to size after they have dried.

Womans hats can be very thick and work well also.

Btw..I wear a 7 1/4 - in a Stetson or Resistol if you happen to stumble across any. Black preferred of course.

Gunner, who wears mostly Resitols and favors the now discontinued Silverline

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Sure, those insoles are still around.

Thanks for the idea, it'll improve my coffee no end.

Reply to
Offbreed

snipped-for-privacy@jabble.com (jjjjj) wrote in news:62af0a19.0405071838.2a484d91 @posting.google.com:

Call Gortite

Anthony

Say it ain't so Gunner - they discontinued the SilverBelly line or maybe it was the Silverline... Texas DPS and Rangers wear them IIRC. I used to get waves from them on the highway wearing mine. I think they thought I was off duty.

Got mine as a judge in the Texas Relays - one weekend work and a hat that has lasted all these years.

And I don't wear one of those plastic liners - just let it pour.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Excellent suggestion.

I once owned a Stetson. I learned that one should never park any item of value on the hood of your car while loading groceries, lest you forget that item is there and it stays behind when you drive off.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I looked all over when wrapping up the rebuild on my Sheldon lathe, and finally found that McMaster-Carr has the right material. It is pretty expensive, though. I had to get something like a 12' roll of 1" wide material to make my wipers from. They have it in various thicknesses and widths, and I think they have 12" squares, too. It definitely is stiff and appears quite durable. I'm still trying to get it fully saturated with way oil. I cut it with a sharp X-acto knife.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

the Silverline...

Ayup.. fraid so. I think I got one of the last Silverlines. Yours has the silver hat band? A very special lady gave me mine about 15 yrs ago. Wear it most of the time when Im not actually on the job.

lasted all these years.

Chuckle..if they didnt come with one of those hat condoms..it dont need one. A bit of rain, horse sweat etc simply adds charecter to a good hat. I had a really good dark brown Resistol 5x I wore for work every day. After about 12 yrs it was just getting broke in the way I liked it..lady gave me a Justin serling silver hat band..and some sombitch stole it out of my truck at a machine shop last year. Im still pissed as hell.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

My mistake. I had to go look, then look at the hatbox as the sweatband is nearly history.

Its a Quicksilver. Ebay has 3 of them...all of which are the wrong size...sigh.

Gunner