Maker's Marks

I have a friend who has a laser engraver. I recently gave her a .GIF of my mark and had her burn it into the end of a 3/16" punch (in reverse of course).

I have yet to try it on something ferrous but it makes a lovely mark on copper and silver.

I'm trying to gauge what interest there might be in custom punches.

What would it be worth to you to be able to punch your own graphic into your work? What size would you want it to be?

Reply to
carlDOTwest

Unless the sides of the punch image were ramped (to spread the load and displace the material), and the punch made of tool steel properly hardened after engraving, you may get one good punch out of it in steel or other harder metals - maybe. Then you'll have a punch with a rather mangled image. Make sure you can get more made before you try.

IOW, if it wasn't made and hardened for that purpose, don't be too surprised if the punch image goes "Smoosh" instead of the item.

Just a two-line with name and DL# in 1/16 or 3/32, without having to pick out the punches one letter at a time & try to keep them straight.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Rio Grande, a jewelry supply company

will make custom maker's marks. If you want to get an idea of sizes, prices, etc. Might be worth a look.

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

Leather working wants it, many types I suspect. Woodworking wants it to sign work - maybe when hot. Metal working can use it.

There seems to be niches here and there.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn