Need abit of a refresher on using a cutting torch

Early yesterday morning I discretely tried to cut the base off of an old die cart so that I could scrap the cart - and reuse the super heavy duty castors on a small table that will become mobile. My workshop is located in the garage of my former residence - now my rent house. Over they years I have heard rumors that it is illegal to have welding tanks (mine are commercial size) in a residential neighborhood - I have no idea if this is true or an urban legend. I just try to keep them under cover and only use them with the door closed. I have not used the cutting head much the past few years and am out of practice.

When I tried to light the torch I kept getting a loud popping noise - this was from acetylene only. Not the low key, discrete, 7 am torch job. Once I finally got it lit, there was still an occasional popping noise and numerous flame outs. I varied the acetylene from 4 to 6 psi and the oxygen from 15 to 30 psi. The Harris torch (No. 62-3) was sporting a Harris 3S tip. I tried to clean the tip but was unable to find my tip cleaner - I finally found some MIG wire that was just the right OD to clean out the cutting tip. Eventually I switched to an NTT style 6290 No 1 tip. That seemed to work much better (virtually no popping).

WHat am I doing wrong? I noticed that the mixing head was very warm to the touch - is this normal?

Reply to
aribert

Grant Erwin

"Grant Erwin" wrote: You got dirt in one of your valves in your torch.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Or a leak at one of the assembly points--a bad O-ring, or a nick in one of the metal sealing surfaces.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

The mixing chamber is plugged as is part of the tip(s). The popping sound was the flame sucking back into the mixing chamber. Hence the warm head.

A complete and through cleaning is in order.

Gunner

Gunner

One other possibility: Did you agitate the acetylene tank? Or was it nearly empty? It is possible you were getting a bit of acetone to the torch. That can "pop" pretty good, too. Acetylene tanks need to stand upright for several hours before use.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster