need an idea

I read Dan Caster's recent posting saying how someone built a smoker out of an old bladder-type pressure water tank. Well, today one showed up free. Normally I pass on huge free rusty things, space being at a premium, but this one isn't even rusty. It's 50" tall and 24" in diameter and is made of at least 12 ga. maybe 1/8" steel.

Here's what it looks like:

I'm wondering what I can make out of it. Here are some ideas:

a big smoker an outdoor fireplace a quench tank a big propane forge a charcoal maker

Got any other ideas? Preferably G-rated?

Tanks in advance! :-)

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

Reply to
Grant Erwin

one isn't even rusty.>

Grant, I bet the inside of your shop looks just like mine.:) To solve the problem, I'm adding on another 300 SF. But on to the question....

If you're not into metalcasting yet, you need to be and this thing would make an excellent furnace. Another reader here (can't find his link right now) has a website with one of these tanks made into a furnace. I've made a couple of furnaces from oil drums and I believe this tank would work well.

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

If you mean Chipmaker, he used a well casing.. Ray Vin (who does not post here) used something that looks remarkably like the picture though. Lemme see where the link is... Roy's:

's:
Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

I would cut it in half and hinge a lid on both halves to make two fire proof oil rag containers. Then I would ship one to the chap that came up with such an outstanding idea?? :-)

Jesse L Zufall Silt Co

Reply to
Jesse L Zufall

On the same subject, I have several buddies with plasma cutters but I've never used one or seen one used. Can you do a piercing cut with one?

Grant

Jesse L Zufall wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Yes, it is very possible to make a piercing cut with a plasma torch. I do it in the shop all the time.

Jesse

Reply to
Jesse L Zufall

Yes. Note that, as with O/A, the pierce will be rather messy. I start in a bit in what will be scrap and move to the cut line.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

For a smoker just bring a notepad to Lowes and take a look at the ones they sell. Pretty easy to reverse engineer.

It might not be thick enough to survive being an outdoor fireplace for long.

Way too big for a propane forge unless you plan on hand forging anchors for frieghters.

Kind of a waste for a quench tank since old half barrels work better anyway.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
JR North

If you are cutting a door, I would recommend drilling holes at each corner and not making a piercing cut. The only reason for multiple holes is so you can use a straight edge as a guide and just cut from hole to hole.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster