need help welding 6063 extrusion

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:36:18 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

Hmm, are we still talking about welding here, or has the focus drifted? ;)

-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Reply to
Larry Jaques

More current, lots of cleaning with acetone, brand new stainless wire brush, and just some more practice, and I've got a REAL weld! It's ugly, oh YES, but it is strong enough. With 12' lengths of extrusion, the corners don't have to be all that strong, as those straight sections will sag under their own weight. It just needs to be strong enough to survive handling until the acoustic sheet material is screwed onto it, and it should hang together.

Oh, yeah, the thicker 4043 filler rod is a LOT easier to work with than the too-thin 5356 MIG wire. This 6063 material seems to be easier to weld that the 6062 scrap that I was practicing on, which is a TOTAL bear! Maybe it was too old and dirty or something. But, always good to build up your skills on something HARDER that the actual job needs.

Now, I need to set up a mini-factory to cut the material and fixture the parts. 10 frames = 40 joints to weld. I should be getting pretty good at by the time I'm done.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jon Elson wrote: (...)

As a great philosopher once said: "You Rock!"

--Winston

Reply to
Winston