Need help with nitinol motor Bribe offered

HI All. I am developing a motor using super elastic nitinol wire and have problems. Picture at:

The most frustrating problem is joining the wire together. I bought some tiny stainless steel tubing from Ebay. The idea is to use this as a sleeve and solder/braze it together. It hasn't arrived yet. I have been unable to find small high pressure crimp fittings. The second problem is the wire slipping on the pulleys. I will send anyone coming up with a solution to either of these problems a piece of wire to play with, assuming it is something I can use. Wire description at:
wire has a transition temp ~100C. This helps resolving the cooling side. The heating side can be easily insulated with cheap materials(styrofoam). I am hoping to put this on a bicycle and operate with solar power. Any comment/suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance. Larry

Reply to
Larry Snyder

Greetings Larry, I would spot weld the wires together inside the sleeves instead of soldering them. You can buy stainless tubing already cut into short lengths at a sporting goods store. Cripmers too. The sleeves are for making up stainless steel leaders. I made up an emergency throttle cable for a car broken down on the side of the road out of some 50 lb. test ss leader and a couple crimps. The fix was appropriate too as the car was one of those "boat cars" that were made in the late 50's or early 60's. Cheers, eric

Reply to
etpm

Hi eric. Spot welding in tube is great idea. Also sleeves from sporting good store. Please send me your mailing address and I'll send wire monday. Thanks. Larry

Reply to
Larry Snyder

HI All. I posted this on several newsgroups and got a lot of responses. I would like to thank everyone for their input. The answers that I like are: capstain/multiple turns around pulleys use tubing for guide and spot weld grooving pulleys for more surface area crimp fittings from fishing supply store idlers/belts to apply extra pressure on pulleys Answers I didn't like: coating pulleys with nonslip stuff- wire pressure too great. will fail too fast. I have notified people with the above ideas and will offer wire only for some other ideas. Thanks for your interest. Larry

Reply to
Larry Snyder

=A0The most

I was looking for information on soldering Nickel, and ran across a reference to using phosphoric acid flux to solder stainless. Has anyone used any phosphoric acid flux?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

To All, When Larry Snyder made the above post I responded with a suggestion that he apparently found useful and true to his word I recieved in the mail yesterday what looks to be about 25 feet of nitinol wire. Thanks Larry! Cheers, Eric

Reply to
etpm

You did good! SmallParts sells it in 1, 3, & 6' lengths:

' is a real score. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt