Nitinol help

Hi:

I need some information about Nitinol. A quick literature survey says that it can be sputtered. But, none of them give the source of the sputter target. Anyone know where I could order such a target.

Also, does anyone how good is the adhesion between Nitinol and glass.

thx

Reply to
ajit.gdrive

Nitinol is a nickel-titanium alloy--the name comes from Nickel Titanium and (NOL) Naval Ordnance Laboratory. Both Ni and Ti stick to glass very well, so I wouldn't expect there to be a big issue with adhesion if you do your surface prep well enough.

A possibly more difficult problem is the heat-treatment required to turn garden-variety Ni-Ti films into shape memory alloy, and a still more difficult one is how to get the shape memory in there in the first place--you have to deform the stuff to get it to do anything, and glass doesn't stretch too well.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Some of my colleagues are sputtering NiTi shape-memory films for their theses. They've had success using Cr films as an adhesion layer between the NiTi film and Si substrate; Cr may work as an adhesion layer on SiO2. You might also try a Ni adhesion layer. They use a supplemental Ti target in addition to the NiTi target to sputter stoichiometric NiTi because the Ti readily reacts with the remaining oxygen in the chamber.

Reply to
brian stahl