How to creat Hrdrophobic ITO?

I am interesting in Highly hydrophobic ITO or FTO glass. (P.S.

comparing with the same thickness and roughness, What is more >hydrophobic ITO or FTO glass?). >I Silanized ITO glass with (CH3)3SiCl in CHCl3. I Ieft over night >the glass slide immersed in that solution. >Apparently the conductive glass damaged. It lost its conductivity >and Its brownish transparent colour. >Test experiment shows that the conductivity dose not effected by the >CHCl3. However (CH3)3SiCl dose not supposed to damage it as well. >I have no information about the ITO glass. But maybe there is >something intrinsic in that glass that react with the (CH3)3SiCl.

I am open for any suggetions

Reply to
Shay

I'm not sure what the problem is, but consider that (CH3)3SiCl + H2O ->

(CH3)3Si-O-Si-(CH3)3 + 2 HCl. How dry was your solution? Is acid damaging to the ITO, which is present as a thin film on top of the glass? Also, what exactly did the glass look like after silanization? Was it at all cloudy or appear to have some sort of different coating on it (if you can see anything new at all, you deposited too much silane, which could effect the conductivity and the optical properties of the underlying layer of ITO).

Gonna have to disagree with Uncle Al - it'll take more far more than 60 seconds for any sort of complete coverage with (CH3)3SiCl. The smaller the molecule, the longer it takes to adsorb a monolayer (in my experience). But 5 hours should be enough, assuming you can keep things dry. Try dry refluxing too.

This silane is not a good choice for making very hydrophobic surfaces by the way, it will resist forming a monolayer. You really need a long alkyl chain on there to get the van der Waals stabilization necessary. Having only one Cl on the Si will prevent bulk polymerization, but increasing up to 3 Cl's will improve reactivity with the surface. The more Cl's, the more water-sensitive, and you will need very dry conditions, not just in your beaker but in your atmosphere. You can also try methoxy or ethoxy groups instead of Cl's, they are more water-stable.

Reply to
rekuci

In glass fibre coatings, it was normal to use vinyl silanes, applied in aqueous solution, to produce the keying agent on the glass surface. This, of course was subsequently dried in an oven. I don't think that hydrophobicity was a desired effect.

Reply to
Terry Harper