Need high throughput pressure regulator

--OK here's the thing: I'm trying to push a good flow of propane into a flaming widget but I'm only wanting to do it at about 10psi. There's a wee pressure regulator attached to the widget (threaded 1/4" pipe but I could go up to 3/8") but it's definitely acting as a flow restrictor, not just a pressure regulator. Is there a device that can solve the problem?

Reply to
steamer

steamer fired this volley in news:4df78665$0$2170$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net:

The average individual appliance regulator has a needle valve oriface that's very small. You won't get any appreciable flow through it.

Most gas regulators won't tune up to 10psi, either. I don't remember, but think it was in the low tens of inches of water column.

Our professional flame effects use gas _rated_ high-flow regulators with

1/2" piping. I'd think a very large welding gas regulator might suit the purpose.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

A cheaper and more readily available regulator would be one for a high BTU/Hr "jet" burner outdoor cooker. I have one that is rated at 105,000 BTU/Hr which has an adjustable regulator that goes from 0-10 PSI. The whole unit was $60 at a local sporting goods store.

Reply to
Pete C.

I use one that looks like the model with the small black knob shown here

It's good to 300 or 400 thousand BTU. I payed about $50 for mine from the local propane dealer. Mine goes into the tens of PSI. The place I got it from made sure to get me the connector for the propane tank that didnt have a pinhole drilled though it, like with a grill- it's like a piece of pipe- there's no sort of flow restriction at all with my setup.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

If you're willing to make something yourself, you might look at the design of a hot air balloon burner.

steamer wrote:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Fisher (I think) makes propane regs that are adjustable up to either 30 or

60 psi . I have the 60 psi version on my foundry burner , but have yet to go over 30 . I think I'm pumping around 80,000 BTU's thru it when it's at 30 psi (.030" orifice/1" Mikey burner), all I know is it'll take 10 lbs of aluminum from ambient (cold furnace) to molten in under 20 minutes .
Reply to
Snag

I suggest he searches on Mike Porter and/or Ron Reil burners . Opens the door to dozens of pages of info and designs .

has links to a lot of burner info- all within the capabilities of most home shop types .

Reply to
Snag

I have a high flow adjustable regulator from Tejas Smokers that goes upto

20PSI. I run my big grill at pretty low pressure, but the higher flow rate makes it burn like it should. Buy it and the green acme high flow inlet fitting (unless you need the red one).

Bob La Londe

steamer wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on 14 Jun 2011 16:03:49 GMT:

You need a larger regulator.(not higher pressure)

Reply to
dan

--Thanks for all the replies gang; lotsa avenues have opened up here and I'll explore 'em all. Stay tuned and I'll let ya know how it goes..

Reply to
steamer