propane regulator question

I'm building some pipe burners and as part of testing/tuning I'm wishing I
had a pressure gage to read gas pressure. My LP regulator has a threaded hole
in the side which looks like just the place to add one. However, there is no
plug in it, nor does it leak. At the very bottom of the hole it looks like
there's some sort of membrane (my eyes are an old 52) and with certainty no
gas comes out the hole. I don't know how to ask this question any more
intelligently, so I'll just ask it dumb: what's up with this unplugged hole
that doesn't leak? If I want to add a pressure gage, do I have to drill it
out or is there some sort of Schrader valve that will "know" a gage is
screwed in there?
I know I can buy a Goss or Fisher regulator. Mine came on a Magnum roofing
torch and works very well, and money *is* an issue for me, so I'd rather
stick with the regulator I have.
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
One thing to think about - Oxygen system - the breathing type - use a setup like Propane tank connection to gages. The high guage is over the top of pressure and the bottom might be low - but one or the other is the way to go. Second hand types maybe. The gages are low cost - by them selves if one doesn't demand high quality...
Martin
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Grant; What you are describing sounds like the vent port on the regulator, regulators need a reference to atmospheric pressure to operate. A tee at the outlet of the regulator would be a good location for pressure measurement, if you are likely to operate in the several pounds range the cheapest gauge may be one normally used on a water pump system, not great gauges but economical.
Jack
Reply to
Jack Hayes
You'll find a test plug somewhere on the regulator. Get a piece of 1/4" poly tubing and nail [staple?] it on a board to make a 'U' tube manometer about 18" long. Connect to the test plug with a tubing adaptor. fill the U-tube 1/2 full of water. turn on the gas pressure. Measure the pressure differential at the water surfaces in the U-tube. Should be 11". If you want to get fancy put some red food coloring in the water. Bugs
Reply to
Bugs
Why would they thread it female 1/4" NPT then? Doesn't matter, I've already plumbed up a tee ..
GWE
jerry wass wrote:
Reply to
Grant Erwin
It is threaded 1/4 NPT so a remote vent can be installed to divert any leakage "overboard". This is necessary in some installs because propane is heavier than air and it is necessary to prevent propane "puddling" if the diaphragm leaks.
Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Site Timeline