welding pipe

I was wondering if there is a method for cutting pipe to be welded together at 90 degrees. For a roll cage or something else.
The only way I've ever seen is to use a cutting torch to sort of wing it, when making the curved cut to get the pipe snug against the other pipe.
Is there a technique or method for making a more precise fit for pipe welding?
Thanks.
You need a fishmouth, a round hole in one or the other. If in the end of the cross member, a semicircle (ideally). You can use a rigid mounted hole saw or end mill to cut it, or sand if you have a sanding belt with a radius, or just cut or grind. You could do worse than placing it over the pipe to be joined and scribing the cross section to be cut.
Tim
-- "I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!" - Homer Simpson Website @ http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms

stone wrote:

Tubing notcher http://www.medfordtools.com/metalworking/tubenotcher.html

This is a cool item. Thanks Stephen, I'm going to make one of those!
walt
stone wrote:

As well as the other methods mentioned, google search on this group for making paper templates to wrap around for torch or cutting.
Terry Collins wrote:

Goggle for "Winmiter" and "Tubemiter". Both are free programs to generate the paper template. Wrap around the tube and use a right angle grinder to grind the metal and paper away to the template line. Perfect fishmouth. I've even made double fishmouths, to mate a vertical tube at the junction of two horizontal tubes forming a +. I overlapped two offset templates and traced the bottom one on to the top one to make a double fistmouth.
Ken Moffett wrote:

Hasn't that been outlawed in Canada?
--
John L. Weatherly
MacGyver Industrial Technologies

You can only use barbless hooks.
Gunner
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
John L. Weatherly wrote:

DOH!
| I was wondering if there is a method for | cutting pipe to be welded together at | 90 degrees. For a roll cage or something else. | | The only way I've ever seen is to use a cutting | torch to sort of wing it, when making the curved | cut to get the pipe snug against the other pipe. | | Is there a technique or method for making a more | precise fit for pipe welding? | | | Thanks.
I've seen a pencil mounted on a slot in a block. Forgot what they call it. Hold the pipe at the angle you want it to be against the mating pipe. Follow the block around the pipe and the pencil marks out the profile to make a flush fit. Takes some practice, of course, and you pick the cutting method that works for you. Templates work good, but take a bit more effort to do, unless you are mathematically inclined and/or plan on doing a lot of that pattern.
I've seen little doohickeys at the welding supply outfits that go like this: a protractor -like plate that clamps on the pipe. A rotating plate on top of that , which can be clamped w/ thumbscrew at the proper angle. A 2 section arm holding a piece of 1/8" X 1/2" chalk on the free end, the other end pivoting on the rotating plate. In use, the chalk is marked about half way around the pipe from one direction, then back to the start, and around the other direction. Clear as mud??
carl mciver wrote:

Use a hole saw the same O.D. as the pipe in a drill press to cut the pipe.
Tom

The chapest, yet reasonably precise and practical method is very simple:
cut the other tube in a right angle 45 degrees to its centerline.
I hope the little sketch will show how it works:
Tube 1 ------------------- /\ / | \ <- this is supposed to be a right angle seen from top -- | | | --------- | | | Tube 2 | | | | <-- centerline
This method works for tubes of the same or slightly differing size. It also works for non - right angle tube joints. just rotate the center line of the right angle cut for half the angle to join.
If you have to join a smaller tube to a larger one, grind of the excess tips of the cut.
grtnx /jan
snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...