need outboard motor prop measurement

IT RAINED!!!!!!!! 2.8 INCHES. That means I now have time to do important stuff and not spend my life watching the irrigator.

Anyway, my apple packing line uses an electric trolling motor propeller in a tube to pump water and thus make the apples move down the flume. This prop has a very small lead so I run high RPM to get enough flow. The bearings on the prop shaft have went out a dozen times (over 20 years) and its a bitch to change them. Its really noisy in the room when I keep on running with a bearing out.

I want to install a VFD on this motor to slow it down and then get a prop with more thrust. The pipe has a 12" I.D. So, I need to find a prop that has

11" span maximum. My 5hp kicker outboard has only 8" span. Plan "A" was to use that, but I'd like to find a bit larger one.

Can anybody take measurements off of old common small outboards so I can start asking for a certain model? I'm guessing that old 9.5 mercury ,common as dirt, might be the right size. Better yet, anybody know of an outboard salvage yard?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Find yourself a propeller repair shop- these guys can be kind of hard to locate as they don't need to advertise- the local marina$ generally act as a middleman for the prop shop and add their own huge markup. Try the yellow pages under propeller repair or aluminum welding- the two go hand in hand.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

ebay has plenty of propellers, for not too much money.

Example of such a prop is ebay item 220131942499.

Ignoramus10724

These guys repair a lot of motors, may have some junkers on hand:

Check out
Select a prop intended for a larger 24-volt or 36-volt trolling motor. They'll have more thrust at given RPM. I think trolling motors tend to run slower than outboards because quiet is a valued attribute.

Try Mark's Prop Shop in Forest Lake. He has a lot of props, both new and rebuilt.

There are plastic "comp props" for outboards. Check out

Model O4423 is a 4-blade 10-inch dia 13-pitch for older ca 25 HP OMC motors. I think Bass Pro carries some of these, Cabela's might also, and Mark may stock them. (651) 982-9476

BTW, it isn't real close to Dassel but Mark is genius good with TIG. When he rebuilds a prop, stainless or ally, it's at least as good as new. He does other specialty welding too. I've seen him repairing mfg dies that were probably worth very big bux.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Better idea - redesign the pump. You need low pressure high volume.

They have a nifty way of moving the water in boat flume rides (It's A Small World, Pirates Of The Caribbean, among others...) to create a current and push the boats - submersible well pump motors with a high attack-angle propeller and volute cone on the end to direct a water jet, instead of the regular well pump head.

And it's QUIET! The motor is "TEWO" for long life.

Might want a screen around the inlet so you don't make applesauce if one gets in the wrong place...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Hi Guys:

I'm going through the current topics to hopefully suggest a way to tag valid RCM traffic.

Add RCM: on the beginning of the title line - BEFORE the obligatory OT, OK?

Then we can filter on that tag.

Also need to add a filter for Re: RCM: to get the reply lines.

Hang tight - keep posting.

CaveLamb

Reply to
cavelamb himself